Bottles Over Carbonated - Please Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added 2.5 oz table sugar to a dunkel,been 4 weeks no blow.Thinkin bout cellaring(just in case-soon though) ha. Oh 2.5 for 1.7 gal wich would be 7.5 oz table sugar/5 gal, should i be nervous? Hmm. this was not even the high end of the brew calc for a dunkle.

That depends on your temperature at bottling time, but if you were at around 70, that should give you around 3.6 volumes of co2.

That depends on your temperature at bottling time, but if you were at around 70, that should give you around 3.6 volumes of co2.

Ive checked those time temp variations its not really much between a few degrees it was 67 degrees also.3.6 is borderline blowup for some people even over3.0 i use a priming calc and this was the lower end of the stlyle.

How long have these beers been bottle conditioning? Your OG was 1.085? That's what I think of as a high gravity beer. It's been my (limited) experience that all of my high grav beers do this when I open them too soon. I've been on a high gravity brewing kick lately (last 5 batches) and all of them had this problem until I decided to let them bottle condition longer. Some of them have been aging 8 weeks. Now when I refrigerate them I have time to get them into a glass without the foam geyser that cost me 2/3 of my pour although they still taste a bit young.

maybe letting this batch condition longer will help solve this problem. I know it helped with mine.

i've read quite a few threads of people conditioning their bigger beers for extended periods of time. i think you have it right Stardust. The OP's beer might have also benefitted from more time in secondary.

Any thoughts around racking too much yeast into the bottling bucket? Could this be the culprit?

No, because there is still the same amount of sugar. Once the fermentable sugars are consumed, whether there is 1 yeast or a billion, it's still gone and no more Co2 could be produced as a biproduct of fermentation (eating the sugar), thus ending further carbonation. My guess is as a heavy beer, more conditioning time will solve this problem.

Is there anything with the coffee that could be causing this? The batch in this thread contained 2 cups of extremely potent cold pressed coffee. I have another batch brewed in Nov and bottled in Dec that had great carbonation in Jan, but just opened a few bottles a week ago and they had started to overflow as well. I've had good control with PA's & IPA's, but can't see to get these coffee stouts to have the correct carbonation.

Back