Bottles and taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melcoal

Reaction score
I tried posting this is bottling and kegging but it's not showing up and I'm not sure why. This is another appropriate place though :D

I'm a bit new to this, so some of you may look at me like an idiot, and I'm alright with that - That's my preface for this:

A buddy and I just brewed our first batch ever, and followed the instructions to a T (With the exception of improvised cooling because of a lack of wort chiller, and my buddy adding corn sugar with the malt, thus us improvising with regular sugar prior to bottling.) The kit we got was from Midwest, single fermenter, and no bottles.

Said buddy works at a liquor store in town and suggested we just drink some beers and save the bottles. We did, sterilized them, etc, and started the bottling process. The bottles were various shapes and sizes and at time of bottling we labeled the caps in the order we filled.

My question is, at time of drinking we began to notice that the lower numbers tasted better than the higher. (I could be wrong) but I would imagine this is due to the stuff in the bottom (setimet?) getting stronger, even though we siphoned it into the bottling bucket. That said, is there a way to get a consistent flavor throughout the entire batch? Should I be filtering the beer? If so, when?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long story and probably novice questions :)

Latest posts

Back