Bottled my first brew yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tysolo

Reaction score
As the title says. It was a 5 gallon batch of an amber that came with my starter kit. It went pretty well for my first time! I tasted it before I put in the priming sugar, and it actually tasted like an amber. I ended up with 47 bottles.

I've been a little worried because I got the kit for Christmas and never opened the box because I was waiting to move and have a place to set everything up. Anyways, I was worried because I never refrigerated the dry yeast, because I didn't know I needed to. Hopefully that didn't cause me problems!

I found the most tedious part of the process yesterday was sanitizing all of the bottles, but as with every part of the process, I know I'll tweak and read on here and find a more efficient way.

I know you're suppose to let the bottles sit in a dark place. Does that actually mean dark? I have them in the basement under a desk with no direct sunlight. The room does have shaded windows and isn't dark. Is that situation ok for the bottles? I have a blanket over them right now for zero light, but I'm just curious.

Congratulations on your first batch!! Your bottles should be fine, especially if you used brown bottles. I keep mine in the house in 12-pack boxes so they are mostly covered. Sometimes a few are in 6-packs and exposed to room light but I have never noticed any problem.

Congratulations on your first batch!! Your bottles should be fine, especially if you used brown bottles. I keep mine in the house in 12-pack boxes so they are mostly covered. Sometimes a few are in 6-packs and exposed to room light but I have never noticed any problem.

Thanks for the input! I just wondered if the blanket was even necessary.

Congrats! That's awesome! Now get your a$$ in gear and brew another....slacker.....

:)

Cheers!

I know it! I told my fiancé that I need to get my next batch going. She replied that I should wait until I've tasted the finished first batch. She just doesn't understand!

Congrats! You're on your way to a lifelong and very tasty hobby. Now comes the hard part -- waiting the two weeks (or more) to open your first bottle of chilled homebrew.

I know you're suppose to let the bottles sit in a dark place. Does that actually mean dark? I have them in the basement under a desk with no direct sunlight. The room does have shaded windows and isn't dark. Is that situation ok for the bottles? I have a blanket over them right now for zero light, but I'm just curious.

That should be fine. No sunlight and no fluorescent lights either. I put mine in an old milk crate and cover it with a towel. I'm sure a tiny bit of light makes it through there, but not enough to sour my hops.

Success! It looks and tastes like beer :)

IMG_1837.jpg

Awesome. Especially if you think it is good.

As little light as possible. Stable temperatures around 70. Some fluctuation is OK. Is the next batch already in the works. If not get one going ASAP. You will be surprised at how fast this one will be gone.......

Great counter-top BTW!

Awesome. Especially if you think it is good.

As little light as possible. Stable temperatures around 70. Some fluctuation is OK. Is the next batch already in the works. If not get one going ASAP. You will be surprised at how fast this one will be gone.......

Great counter-top BTW!

It's a little light for my taste, but it's the recipe that came with my beginner kit. It is definitely something I'll drink though! I decided to wait until chilling anymore to see if the flavor will develop more at room temp. I don't know if it will get better, but one of the main lessons I've learned on here as that the longer it sits, the better!

I don't have my next one brewing yet. Not cool! I know! I have an IPA recipe I need to get started.

That pic makes me thirsty....be right back.....ah, just opened a HB brown ale :mug:

Cheers!!

Back