Bottled last week and had to open one.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franknferter

Reaction score
So I bottled my first beer last week (sunday). I know most, if not everyone on the forums say to wait three weeks minimum before opening your first beer and drinking it. I decided to open one after a week.
I want to open and drink one once a week so I can see how it changes over time. I want to see and taste the changes first hand so I can become more knowledgeable.
So one week in I popped that sucker open to a nice psst sound and proceeded to pour it into my trusty coca cola glass.

Mother of god there is some head on my beer. As far as carbonation is concerned there was a pleasant amount a little more and I would be happy. I am looking forward to next week when it looks like I may be able to drink my first homebrew while watching the Super Bowl.:ban:

On a side note if anyone has a good website that I can order actual pint glasses from post it up. I spent a few hours looking around where I live to no avail.

I ALWAYS open one after a week. It's not because I don't have beer, my pipeline's good, but I just like to check on progress.

looks nice, man! :mug:
as far as pinty's go, a lot of breweries sell their pint glasses on their sites. check out Sierra Nevada's site, they have some really nice glassware, and it's priced pretty nicely. all the big homebrew suppliers have a selection of glasses, both plain and with their logo on them. i've also found a lot of online vendors that specialize in collectable glassware with a simple google search.

A good way to learn what the carbing process is up to. Of course, when the batch becomes SPECTACULAR upon opening the last bottle, you're gonna wish you were more patient.

Just bottled mine Saturday and I thought even the uncarbed bucket leavings tasted great! Of course, I have nothing ready right now so I'm doing all I can to leave it alone and not drink it young. I mean, it IS beer already, right?!?

Gotta get my pipeline on track... :(

I will...on a mission for bombers and New Belgium has some that are printed directly on the bottle, NO LABELS TO CLEAN!!! I'll take a pic of the one I "repurposed" on Saturday from ye ole recycling drop-off center :D

if you are looking for serving pint glasses, i get them at a dollar store here.
literally, nice, good looking pint glasses. $1. (made from glass, not plastic)
here's a shot of my pale ale in it.

IMAG1910.jpg

I checked one of my stouts a few days ago...it had been in the bottles for 1 week...flat as a board even though it did "psst" a little when opened and some bubbles could be seen in it....I have a feeling these will need 4-5 weeks to be right at this rate.

Once the pipeline is going you should always have plenty of beer that is at least 1 month bottled aged. For me that is I must do a 5 gallon batch about every 2-3 weeks to stay ahead!

The only one I didnt feel bad about sneaking off with was a Stella Artois glass with the gold rim in perfect condition.

If you're looking for sets of pint and other beer glasses right away to start your collection, go to a Target, or Meijer's, they both carry the Libbey 12 piece international beer set box, like mine were, they're designated as BAVARIAN pilsner glasses. It's like 25 bucks.

41nLDcBMaBL._AA121_.jpg

The set is made up of- 4 16-ounce English Pub glasses, 4 15-ounce Czech Pilsner glasses, and 4 15-ounce Bavarian Pilsner glasses.

They also usually carry sets of Guinness Pints as well.

051307guinness_pint.jpg

Call me a dick, But... My beer glass collection is mostly from bars I might have frequented at some point.

i have a collection of over 20 various logo pint glasses from local bar's "keep the glass" nights. i'm out of room in my cupboard.

SMH...you don't actually still frost your pint glasses do you?

I got one from Northern Brewer when they left a siphon hose off an order. Next order I just wrote a note in their comment box. A day later my order had been changed to include the hose and an NB pint glass. They aren't always the cheapest, but they are definitely responsive.
Btw, I'm definitely not suggesting anyone try to scam NB. They really had shorted me the hose, I swear.

Every time i go visit a brewery i must get one of there pint glasses. (plus more room they can fill up instead of the small sample glasses). Target had some Stella Artios challace glasses if they still carry them

I cleaned out the place. Sadly they only had 6 of them. Thanks for the tip.

Dollar tree here has points and pilsner glasses... Although my wife is a little rough on the thin pilsner glasses... She's broke 4 of the 6 I had...

Is there a rule to not drink a homebrew out of a frosty glass? I'm in bed now should I go take my 2 out?? WTF.

THanks for the dollar store tip for glasses.

Is there a rule to not drink a homebrew out of a frosty glass?

Course not. Just a preference for some. :D

I'm in bed now should I go take my 2 out?? WTF.

Depends on what you want from your beer. Serving it in a frosted glass will dilute the beer and chill it down, suppressing flavors and aromas. Two things that many craft/homebrew drinkers prefer to not have happen to their beer.

I ain't saying anything about what you should do, just clarifying why some (myself included) prefer their glasses decidedly unfrosted. Enjoy your beer however you enjoy enjoying it!

I like my wheat beer that I buy (going to brew some of my own soon) served quite cold and a frosty glass is a plus. I like to take my stout out of the chiller and leave it on the counter for an hour to warm up before I pour so I get a stronger aroma from it.

Wow. Did not know these things!!! lol. Will try my next brews from a room temp glass.

I like my wheat beer that I buy (going to brew some of my own soon) served quite cold and a frosty glass is a plus. I like to take my stout out of the chiller and leave it on the counter for an hour to warm up before I pour so I get a stronger aroma from it.

Yup, it all comes down to preference. There's nothing wrong with drinking from a frosted glass if it accomplishes what you want. :D

I too have discovered the wonders of un-chilled beer. Its pretty amazing what a difference there is in certain beers once they start to get a little warmer. Did some Stone Verticals last night, and there was definitely a different taste to the same beer as it came up to room temp.

I too have discovered the wonders of un-chilled beer. Its pretty amazing what a difference there is in certain beers once they start to get a little warmer. Did some Stone Verticals last night, and there was definitely a different taste to the same beer as it came up to room temp.

This is one of the great things about taking your time with a beer. If you kill it in 15 minutes, you get one basic experience. If you drink it over a longer period of time, you get to experience how it changes as it warms up. And its particularly interesting for complex beers like the Stone Verticals tend to be.

Ive found it different with different beers, My english amber was great at a cool temperature, but really frosty in a frosted glass the flavors changed for the better. My Irish red on the other hand prefers a non frosted glass at a warmer temp (55*ish) and the flavor and aroma profile really comes alive, Try different things with different beers n see what you like!!

I tasted one of my Browns the other day after a week and a half in the bottle, respecable head and very good carbonation. Very tasty, opend another last night and it had an off oder and a weard taste.(My wife thought so as well) I put it aside and opend another and it was fine, great tasting and nice head and aroma. Whats up with the stinky one? any thoughts??

newby second batch.

Back