bottled before final fg now over carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj2387

Reaction score
ive done a few batches but would not consider myself a pro. did a BIAB caribou slobber clone a few weeks back. hit the OG if anything a little high for what it called for. but when i bottled the FG was reading around 1.028.

still being a noob i bottled away but thought that seemed awfully high. after a week in the bottle i decided to open one and after throwing in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes. it foamed all over when i opened it. so i grabbed a warm one and it did the same.

im guessing the yeast werent done working? but the other 5-7 beers ive done have all fermented 2 if not 3 weeks and turned out good. I also used a priming sugar calc. so im guessing the yeast wasnt done. is there any hope left?

Try letting one chill overnight (or better, two days) and see if it's any less foamy.

But I suspect you're going to have to off-gas the bottles. Either crack them a little and re-capper the caps (if not too bent up), or pop the caps completely and use new caps.

If you don't act (and soon), you'll likely have a batch of bottle-bombs.

thanks! thats what i was thinking too haha.

any reason as to why after 2 weeks the FG was so far off?

It could have been a few things, low fermentation temps, underpitched yeast count, or just simply a slow fermenting yeast are the big 3 that come to mind. The good news is you found it and still have a chance to save most of the batch.

so even after only a week in the bottle i should throw it in the fridge and let it sit for a few days? worse case its only about 18 bottles and will be the first time ive had to dump... dont need any bottle bombs haha

Latest posts

Back