Bottled 4 weeks ago -- No Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
I bottled a Belgian Dark Strong Ale 4+ weeks ago. I've tried a couple and there is little or no carbonation at this point.
I normally keg my beers, but since this is such a big beer (10.5%) -- I wanted to bottle.

Calculated my amount of priming sugar that I would need for 2.75 Volumes of CO2 at 68-70 degrees for 5 gallons -- this came out to around 4.8 oz of corn sugar.

The only thing I did different from last time I bottled -- I added priming solution to racking bucket first then siphoned beer. In the past -- I have siphoned beer first then added priming solution and then stirred.

Any ideas on what I can do to salvage batch?
Wait? or add additional priming?

Thanks for any help.

Rick

Big beers take more time. The last big beer I made (a wee heavy) took months to carb up. Just give it time.

If you used a belgian strong ale it should be able to handle the ABV, unless you had an extended primarary, or racked to a secondary, in which case, you may not have had enough viable yeast to carbonate.

Before you go uncorking bottles to reprime, I would suggest heating them up to try and activate the yeast. Belgian strains can handle temps in the 80s so don't be afraid to go that high and let it sit there for 2 weeks.

Whenever I bottle from a bucket, I always rack on to my priming solution, and it always mixes well, I put the hose in such a way to create a mini whirlpool, so I think you are fine there. You used enough sugar, so I say warm it up and wait.

Agree with other posts on more time and maybe a warmer spot if possible. I usually see at least 4 weeks to get medium sized beers to carb.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll just give it more time and move the beer from basement to a warmer spot upstairs.
And open another at Christmas.

Other than little and no carbonation -- it tastes awesome.

Cheers.

UPDATE:
Moved to warmer spot -- and gently rolled bottles a few times -- since 11/23.
Still no or little carbonation.
Maybe I am too impatient, but wanted to give out as gifts for Christmas.

Thinking of pouring all or some bottles into keg and force carbonate.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick

I'd say wait it out...maybe even until next year. Bottled my belgian strong in August...tried one at Thanksgiving and there was nothing. I'm not even worried. Might try one at New Years Eve but give it time to carb and evolve...it will be worth it.

I would say not to pour bottles into the keg. You could oxidize them. I would wait it out. I plan on bulk aging in a keg, it's a quad. I assume that if I use the set and forget method that it could take a good month to get to where it needs to be. I could be wrong.

I wanted to bottle but I figure I'll bottle from a keg and give as gifts next year. It was intended to sit for one year.

You really shouldn't keg big belgians IMO. Its all about the yeast and how it develops. I guess if you can carb it warm and bottle from there. Big belgians can age and change over the years and really be fun to taste over time.

Then again, if you don't plan on aging any of these, I could see kegging.

You really shouldn't keg big belgians IMO. Its all about the yeast and how it develops. I guess if you can carb it warm and bottle from there. Big belgians can age and change over the years and really be fun to taste over time.

Then again, if you don't plan on aging any of these, I could see kegging.

That makes sense. I intended to use a keg as secondary basically and let it bulk age. There should be enough yeast in suspension to have the same effect as bottle conditioning. I intended to keep it at room temp for 8 months or so. Wouldn't that be similar to bottling? Then bottling from the keg would be done and while one could appreciate longer term aging if I had bottled normally (before kegging), I foresee most bottles given away to be drank sooner rather than later. Only I would hang onto a couple of bottles myself for more time. In that case, I had an idea to bottle some bombers before I threw it all in the keg for bulk aging.

How does that sound?

I wouldn't keg it. You'd probably risk oxidizing when pouring into the keg. You can still give them as gifts....just put a "Don't Open Until" date on the bottle.

Agreed.
I'll wait it out --
thanks everyone for the advice.

Good idea Brother Bock.

Cheers.

Bottles are stored at 70 or over. I would every other day invert the bottles and give them a swirling motion to stir the yeast.

UPDATE:
Opened another bottle and still no carbonation.
I'm trying to be patient, at this point, I'm going to rehydrate to Nottingham yeast and put a drop or two in each bottle.
Thinking the yeast is pooped out.

Interesting info -- my neighbor and I split this 10 gallon batch. We used same liquid yeast, but we each made our own starters.
He is not having this problem with no carbonation.

UPDATE #2:
Opened another bottle on 3/7/15 (at this point still have not added any additional yeast).

Tastes great -- No Carbonation.

Re hydrated Nottingham Ale Yeast and put a 3 drops (using eyedropper) per bottle.

I'll update again in 2-3 weeks.

UPDATE #2:
Opened another bottle on 3/7/15 (at this point still have not added any additional yeast).

Tastes great -- No Carbonation.

Re hydrated Nottingham Ale Yeast and put a 3 drops (using eyedropper) per bottle.

I'll update again in 2-3 weeks.

You did measure the sugar by weight correct? I'm sure you did but thought I would just check the obvious anyway.

You did measure the sugar by weight correct? I'm sure you did but thought I would just check the obvious anyway.

Yes I did --
I added 4.8 oz bw priming sugar (corn sugar).

I wanted somewhere between 2.5 and 3 volumes of CO2 at a fermenting temp of around 70 degrees F.

Good question though.

My neighbor split the batch with me and has had no problems with carbonation -- the only difference, we used our own yeast starters.
I'll have to ask him how much priming sugar he used.

Thanks.

Back