Bottle with Hops on Top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I dry hopped my IPA last Saturday after fermenting and conditioning for three weeks. I was planning on bottling this Saturday but when I took a reading this evening there were a layer of hops on top of the beer. Do I need to wait until the hops drop to the bottom of the bucket or can I just bottle?

You can just bottle. I've had this problem and the hops never dropped. I waited for weeks after I was originally intending to bottle.

The problem will become whether or not your siphon will get clogged (Also happened to me). You may want to rig up a better filter on your siphon to help out.

First time I dry hopped I didn't put enough weight in the hop sacks so they just floated on top.... think its just sorta what they do. You'll be fine to bottle just siphon carefully

First time I dry hopped I didn't put enough weight in the hop sacks so they just floated on top.... think its just sorta what they do. You'll be fine to bottle just siphon carefully

To add to that, I now use a hop bag with sanitized marbles to weight the bag down. With the extra weight, the bag stretched and kept the bag thin (Thus forcing the hops lower. This also gives the ability to use the bag with the hops/marbles to stir in the beer every now and then.

Latest posts

Back