Bottle volume Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szade1

Reaction score
I just started my third batch, and since i bottle i was wondering. How much longer does a 22oz bottle take to carbonate properly vs a 12 oz bottle. I assume more volume takes longer ?

I would think if you bottled a whole batch with just 22oz bottles it would take the same amount of time as if you were just using 12 oz bottles. Would you be using a mix? Either way I wouldn't worry, give it a good 2-3 weeks in the bottle and you should be fine. :)

I've always put a few 22oz bottles in my batches and I let then sit longer. One thing is if you bottle with ALL 22oz you need less Corn Sugar. The larger the bottle the less sugar you need (ie Party pigs are 33% less).

Not enough to really WORRY about but you should be aware. Error on the side of LESS sugar.

Ooops...just bottled my first batch, a cream ale, with nothing but 22 oz bottles and I used all of the sugar in the kit.

Tasted good but green at least :)

Don't worry - there doesn't seem to be an appreciable difference in carb levels between 12 and 22 oz, I always use the same amount of priming sugar. The 22s can take a little longer to carbonate sometimes, but it's not a given. Much of the time they're ready at the same time as the 12s.

I think the reason Party Pigs and kegs use less priming is not because they're larger, but because they are dispensed while maintaining pressure - bottles lose the pressure as soon as you open the cap.

Back