Bottle to kegging questions!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastTony

Reaction score
Ok so I have been brewing since January and have been bottling all my batches.

I want to switch to kegging and I have a few questions.

I live in apartment and do not have a kegerator or a place to keep cold kegs. Do I need it?

I was thinking I could just keg my beer then hit it with the CO2 whenever I was ready to drink that beer. My thinking if I was going to go to a friends house or a party I could just fill a few growlers then chill them. Will this work?

I don't think so because I thought beer had to be colder than 60 degrees to absorb the co2 and carbonate correctly. Is this thinking right or wrong?

Any suggestions on how I can keg without a place to keep it cold? Is it possible?

Thanks

The colder the beer is the easier it is to carbonate it. If the kegs are warm they will take quite a while to properly carbonate. You will also run into issues properly tapping with irregular temperatures all the time and will spend more time trying to adjust psi and carbonation levels than the whole process will be worth IMO.

Back