Bottle to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcessig

Reaction score
Just put together a corny keg setup. My question, mostly hypothetical, so don't kill me on this, but can you open bottles, pour them into the cprny keg, put co2 on it and drink. Even if you can, are there reasons not too?

There is nothing preventing you from doing it, but you will kill all of your carbonation and it can't be re-carbed.

The most compelling reason to say DON'T is that the beer will most likely oxidize, so don't do it. If you can transfer without splashing the beer around, maybe it's doable...

Oh, and you can ABSOLUTELY recarbonate whatever you put in the keg.

geosteve said:
The most compelling reason to say DON'T is that the beer will most likely oxidize, so don't do it. If you can transfer without splashing the beer around, maybe it's doable...

Oh, and you can ABSOLUTELY recarbonate whatever you put in the keg.

yes, you can force carbon dioxide into the beer, but you will likely lose all head retention. once a beer foams, it won't foam again. the chances of pouring bottles into a keg without foaming are slim. even of you could pour perfectly, the amount of effort would greatly exceed the reward.
just brew another batch or pick up a commercial keg and a sanke connection for when you are out of kegged home brew.

dooonnnnn'tt dooo eeettt!!!!!!!!!!!!!! use this as a reason to have to brew again; you have to put beer in the kegs. oxidizing is not a good flavor, anyway...

I had a RIS that bottled and never carbed up. I opened all the bottles. Slowly poured into a keg and force carbed. I rebottled out of the tap. It is now about 10 month old stout and it is fantastic. Trust me, I was as shocked as all of you.

This gives me an idea (caution- dumb idea): pour 2 pints in keg and pressurize to eg 12 psi, just to check how taps are working. I didnt finished my keezer jet and I"m curious how would it work..
What can I expect, is it worthwhile (or probably not)?

if you are just testing the taps, why not use water or a starsan solution?

Thank you for the advice guys. I'll just have to be patient and wait for my current batch to finish in the fermenter.

if you are just testing the taps, why not use water or a starsan solution?

I don't have starsan and I"d like to see how level reducer effects head formation and foaming.. at the end I can always try with water to see is there any leaks.

There is nothing preventing you from doing it, but you will kill all of your carbonation and it can't be re-carbed.

Why do you say this? you can force carb anything, whether it's been carbed or not.

I also just got a kegging system and had a citra IPA that was overcarbed and WAY too mango-y for my liking. I brewed up a piney/citrus IPA and mixed it in the keg with the citra IPA. I just chilled all the bottles, opened them an dpoured them into a bottling bucket. Mixed in the other IPA and kegged it. It's been carbing but should be ready this weekend to try the first pint. Other than a little oxidation, I don't expect any issues.

That said, I wouldn't do it with all my beers but it can be done.

Back