Bottle Time after bulk aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
For no other reason other than laziness, I did not bottle my Carmenare for nearly a year. I had started to bottle, but then noticed it was still very gassy after about 6 months. I whipped it really good, and decided to let it sit, for another 6 months. I just bottled this up and sampled it as I was bottling and am optimistic that it will be good after bottle aging. Should I aim for another year in the bottle before worrying about tasting this wine or will it be good after 6 to 8 months bottled?

The last wine I made I starting drinking the Cellar Craft Zinfandel at about 10 moths after bulking aging for 2 and we were very pleased with the results.

Just wondering what my goal should be for starting to taste this new batch of wine.

I'd let it sit another year, but everyone's taste is different, if you can't wait anymore, try it in 6 months, maybe it will be good.

Really, 30 days is enough to get rid of bottle shock, but with wine, longer seems to always be better. I like to go 6 months minimum in the bottle.

Your carboy should have degasses sitting for a year, if it was at the proper temp.

I have never had a batch Not degass.
your wine, as most usually should be peaking about 18 months.
could you had added oxygen by whipping to intensely?

When I bottled last week, it seemed like it was actually gas free, so now that I waited that long, that issue resolved itself. I am more or less curious if longer bulk age time means less bottle age time or if I still need to wait 12 to 18 months before it starts to peak. I am a very seasonal drinker, I brew beer for the late spring and summer months, I have heavier beers for fall and I tend to drink more red wine during winter months. That being said, I should not have much of a problem staying out of it until next winter....I was mostly curious since I have done very few wines.

Back