Bottle Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I have heard of some people "baking" their bottles in addition. Your best bet is to use a no-rinse sani solution.

Thanks

Just to make sure I understand process. Clean bottles (regardless if they've been used before or not) using bottle brush.

Rinse.

Use no-rinse sani solution.

Good to bottle.

About right?

Many people use their dishwasher for heat sterilization. If it has a "heat" setting, just load them in with no soap (and no rinse-aid sort of products!!!) and you are ready to go in 45 minutes.

Just to make sure I understand process. Clean bottles (regardless if they've been used before or not) using bottle brush.

Bottle Brush. Ha. Overnight in a bucket with Oxyclean will clean any junk out of the inside and strip the labels. Then a good rinse and you're all set. Once they're clean, they shouldn't need much more than a rinse immediately after pouring for them to be ready to be filled again.

Sanitizing is another issue. I love my vinator for that.

Once a bottle is clean you can store it. Sanitized bottles are no longer sanitized if not used. You'll have to resanitize when it's time to fill em up.

I use my dishwasher on the 'sanatize' setting....talk about easy! I've been using it since I got back into brewing about 2 years ago...no problems!

I use Grolsch and Belgian bottles, and don't have a dishwasher in my sheithole apartment.. I did pick up a bottle tree when I got my first batch of bottles. I simply spray that with StarSan, then dunk my bottles into the bucket of StarSan, fill a few at a time, then drain them back in before putting onto the tree. I usually let them sit filled for a minute, or so, to ensure the StarSan does it's job.

I do make sure to get the bottles clean every time I drain one. Just a matter of running hot water through them a few times, when it's all fresh. Hell, even a 10 minute soak (hot water inside) will get any trub to break free. I inspect the bottles before I consider them cleaned (held up to a light, looking through the bottom)... Have had great results so far. I'm not sure if I would use a dishwasher due to the gaskets on the Grolsch caps. I'd probably get a bottle washer (using water pressure) before I go to put them into a dishwasher...

Back