bottle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pogopunk

Reaction score
iv seen plastic beer twist bottles for sale and people use them in videos so i was wondering is you could use a regular old pop bottles after cleaning them

Yes, it works fine.

When I first started brewing, I would bottle as normal with my glass bottles and would bottle 1 beer into a 20oz pop bottle as a method for checking to see if my beer was carbing up. And several years ago, I had a friend who would bottle his entire batch into 2 liter pop bottles.

One thing that I want to relay, however, is that I've read root beer bottles are not ideal for this as the root beer odor/flavor reportedly lingers in the plastic bottles and may leach into your beer.

I have a friend who saves 12 ounces soda bottles and keeps the labels on, then he bottle his beers in the commercial soda bottles that best match the color of the beer, for example a stout in a coke bottle, an IPA in a vernors bottle, a blonde or pale ale in an iced tea bottle. That way he can take beer to places where beer may not be allowed but noone thinks twice about a soda bottle.

He lives in an area where during the summer there's a lot of street fairs in his area, he lives by the water, near a historic "downtown" area. So almost every other week in the summer there's events near him where they close off the area and have stuff going on where Bud is usually sponsoring the event so all the beer is BMC. You can't bring in beer, but they allow coolers of soda, so we get to enjoy the event and drink good beer at the same time.

I have a friend who saves 12 ounces soda bottles and keeps the labels on, then he bottle his beers in the commercial soda bottles that best match the color of the beer, for example a stout in a coke bottle, an IPA in a vernors bottle, a blonde or pale ale in an iced tea bottle. That way he can take beer to places where beer may not be allowed but noone thinks twice about a soda bottle.

He lives in an area where during the summer there's a lot of street fairs in his area, he lives by the water, near a historic "downtown" area. So almost every other week in the summer there's events near him where they close off the area and have stuff going on where Bud is usually sponsoring the event so all the beer is BMC. You can't bring in beer, but they allow coolers of soda, so we get to enjoy the event and drink good beer at the same time.

Wow! This is the most clever idea I've read in a long time; I'll certainly have to begin finding bottles to do exactly the same thing.

Tiredboy said:
I've read that clear bottles are a problem. Is this a misconception?

This is true to an extent. Like gremlins, hops hate sunlight and will cause skunkiness if exposed for even a short period of time.

I've read that clear bottles are a problem. Is this a misconception?

As they filter less light, clear and green bottles, reportedly, allow for more "skunking" to occur.

Simply leave the bottles in a box within a dark room and your skunking potential is significantly reduced.

Maybe I'll crack open the clear bottle I used as a monitoring bottle and see how the flavour compares.

Back