bottle priming with DME -- taking long time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonkelley

Reaction score
I used DME for the first time (usually use sugar/syrup) to carbonate my Samuel Smith Stout. I am in my 3rd week and opened one last night and have no carbonation. Is this normal? I know if takes a little longer with DME than sugar but am growing concerned. Can someone ease my mind and let me know how long I should wait? Thanks!

The temperature in which the beers are stored also has a lot to do with how quickly they carb up. Try to keep the temps as close to 70F as possible to ensure the quickest carbonation of your batch.

Dme really takes no more or less time for a beer to carb, then corn does. In this case a sugar is a sugar....it's taking a long time because the 3 weeks @ 70 is just an average minimum for beers under 1.060, higer grav beers just take longer. My stouts and porters have taken as much as 8 weeks to carb up.

If you haven't already, read my blog Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

The final gravity was 1.015. The bottles are in an earth basement that is usually in the high 60 range but we have had a cold snap here and it is now in the low 60's. I will move them up into the house tonight. We have had a lot of success bottling and will continue to but since this was our first DME try I am a little impatient and anxious.

Back