Bottle or not to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicknwsl

Reaction score
I am currently making my first batch of oatmeal milk stout. My OG was 1.070 but after a week I have no activity in the airlock and +3 days FG of 1.036. I read that lactose does not ferment and from my est. OG I should have started at 1.063. I am assuming that the lactose is the extra .007. So if i take the 1.036-.007 I get a 1.029 FG. I guess my question are: 1.)Are my assumptions correct about the lactose, 2.) Will I make bottle bombs @ 1.029?

I guess I could always re-pitch some yeast.

7 Marris Otter
.75 Flaked Oats
1 Munich Malt
1 Chocolate Malt
1 Crystal 60
1 Flaked Barley
1 Roasted Barley
1 Lactose @ 15

Wyeast 1084

It's hard to say. Sometimes the addition of some oxygen during transfer kicks off fermentation again. Lactose will definitely leave you with a higher FG depending on the amount. You could try transferring to a secondary for a week to see if the transfer indeed kicks things off again. If not, then bottle away. That is assuming you've tried all the methods to restart a fermentation. Healthy re-pitch, warming the beer up. Rousing the yeast, etc.

It's hard to say. Sometimes the addition of some oxygen during transfer kicks off fermentation again. Lactose will definitely leave you with a higher FG depending on the amount. You could try transferring to a secondary for a week to see if the transfer indeed kicks things off again. If not, then bottle away. That is assuming you've tried all the methods to restart a fermentation. Healthy re-pitch, warming the beer up. Rousing the yeast, etc.

I think Porterpounder offers solid advice to rack it to a secondary. I am not a secondary type of guy, but in this case, I'd suggest you try this. I didn't see this mentioned, but I assume you are monitoring temps to stay within the range suggested by Wyeast Labs for 1084?

I think Porterpounder offers solid advice to rack it to a secondary. I am not a secondary type of guy, but in this case, I'd suggest you try this.

I experienced that last year with a Barleywine. Primary went from 1.100 to 1.020. Then a month later I transferred to secondary and it started all over again down to single digits.

I racked over to a 2nd this morning. My temps have stayed a constant 68 deg. I made 3 batches that weekend 2 IPA's and one stout. The 2 IPA have already finished. I have a pouch of Safale US-05 I could repitch but I didn't know if it was necessary. I whirlpooled 2 days ago to give it more oxygen but got the same reading again.

Are your SG readings taken with a hydrometer? Which yeast did you use for the IPAs? What was the FG for these two beers?

Yes I used my calibrated hydrometer and both IPA finished @ 1.012. I used California 1212 Wyeast and Irish 1084 Wyeast for the Stout.

Back