Bottle or Let It Ride???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Tun

Reaction score
Let me start by saying hello. I am a long time craft beer lover and first time brewer. This is my first post on HBT but I have already found a ton of incredibly useful information and tips.

Question first......I'm not sure whether to bottle my first batch now or let it ride in secondary fermentation for a while longer????

Here is what I hope to be the pertinent info you more experienced guys might need to help me make a decision.

Recipe: All Grain
Beer: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone
Yeast: WLP001 (used a starter)
Batch Size: 5.5 gal
OG: 1.053 (actual 1.050)
FG: 1.011 (actual now 1.014)
Primary: 14 days (actual 14 days)
Secondary: 14 days (actual 3 days so far)

Brew day went great with the help of some really great guys at my local brew club (shout out to the Hollywood Hopheads!!). Primary fermentation seemed to go really well. After two weeks my airlock was only bubbling once every 8 minutes or so. I took the first SG reading (1.015) at that time. So, trying to follow the recipe I racked it over to my carboy for secondary fermentation. Today, 3 days after racking, I took another SG reading a 1.014. Also noted a significant color change from brownish to a more golden color.

So, do you guys think my beer will benefit from some additional conditioning in secondary fermentation? Or, since this is a lighter ale, will it get to the same place if I bottle sooner?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to consider my question. I look forward to your responses.

Since you've already transferred it to secondary you might as well make use of it. The only beers I would avoid secondary are IPAs and the like where the hop flavor fades over time. For a Pale Ale I would let it go for 1-2weeks now that you've transferred. It could have been omitted in favor of a longer primary, but it won't hurt. It would age similarly in the bottle, but the more you get to drop out now the less is left as sediment in the bottle.

i would bottle. this is a light and hoppy pale ale, they don't benefit much from aging. drink fresh.

Today, 3 days after racking, I took another SG reading a 1.014. Also noted a significant color change from brownish to a more golden color.
that may be caused by the yeast settling out. the beer is becoming more transparent.

It can't hurt to leave it in there for a while. Take another reading after a week and see where it is at. If hasn't changed at all (still at 1.014) then it's done and you can bottle it.

Here's a side note about the yeast:
You said you used WLP001. According to the White Labs web site, that yeast will attenuate anywhere from 73-80%. This means it will eat 73-80% of the sugars on average. If you started with a 1.050 OG, and you are now at 1.014, the yeast consumed 72% of the sugars (1.050 - 1.014 = 36; and then 36/50 = 0.72). So you are at the low end of the yeast's range. It's just a handy way to check how well the yeast functioned.

I will take an alternate perspective... check it 3-4 more days. If its still at 1.014, then its done. At which time, there isnt much reason to keep it in secondary. I would just go ahead and bottle. Check a bottle periodically (wait two weeks or so). When the carbonation is where you want it, throw all the those bad boys into a fridge and let em stay cold.

Theeeeeeeeeennnn :mug:

given that this is the OP's first batch, hitting 72% isn't bad at all. there is a little room for improvement (maybe aeration?) but i'd be pretty happy with being 1% off from a yeast's range on my first batch.

WOW.....Thank you all for the responses!!! Sounds like secondary fermentation wasn't really necessary for this particular beer. Given the additional risk of contamination, aeration, etc... I will likely opt for a longer primary next time I brew a lighter ale. I am actually interested in tasting the difference between the two processes.

As several of you mentioned, since I already have it in secondary, I may as well let it sit for another week or so. I'll take another gravity reading this weekend as a sanity check, but probably shouldn't expect much change at this point.

Thank you all again for sharing you experience and knowledge. Also, thanks Mrhadack for the yeast efficiency formula. I have added it to my brewing "brain book" for future use.

given that this is the OP's first batch, hitting 72% isn't bad at all. there is a little room for improvement (maybe aeration?) but i'd be pretty happy with being 1% off from a yeast's range on my first batch.

Thank you!! Really have to give the credit to some great folks at my local homebrew club and guys like you on HBT. So far I haven't met a single brewer who wasn't willing to share their knowledge, advice, opinion, and experience with me.

I usually don't have much trouble getting a 1.050OG down to 1.010FG. you're a couple points high,but contributing factors could cause it to stop at that 1.014FG. Racking to secondary before FG is reached for one. not aerating well before pitching,pitching rehydrated yeast with more than 10 degrees difference between the rehydrate & wort temp can shock the yeast as well. Giving it another week just to be on the safe side is a good bet. Bottle bombs are def no fun.

Back