Bottle my bear 2 days ago.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my reading of this thread now, Im starting to wonder if he by chance didnt 'misspell' his true intent of what he was talking about...

It was stated that he bottled his 'bear' too soon. Of course he could have really been meaning 'bare' or 'bar' (as in the redneck pronunciation) I mean, could we really expect him to pare a pair of pears with a bare bear with a burr in his beer?

Sheesh people...
-Me

no no no... you got it ALL wrong. See, he was addressing the post to his bear, but he left out he commas. It was "Bottle, my bear, 2 days ago". So he want's the BEAR to travel back in time and bottle 2 days ago.

Wow, you MAY be right...

Or maybe it was his bear that was trying to sample to early????

...I don't know, feed beer to a bear and you're just asking for trouble if you ask me...

In my reading of this thread now, Im starting to wonder if he by chance didnt 'misspell' his true intent of what he was talking about...

It was stated that he bottled his 'bear' too soon. Of course he could have really been meaning 'bare' or 'bar' (as in the redneck pronunciation) I mean, could we really expect him to pare a pair of pears with a bare bear with a burr in his beer?

Sheesh people...
-Me

...then again, it's hard to argue with JoeMama's logic here!!!

Okay, I think maybe we're having a little TOO much fun with this. :D

Geez Revvy I think it's time for you to switch to decaf! There's nothing wrong with trying a bear (or a beer) two days after bottling it. I do it all the time. Then again, I'm at the point where the primary time is at "Did I brew this a month ago? 5 weeks ago? I don't remember but it's all clear now". Anyways, green beer may taste like crap, or not. It's all how we enjoy our beers.

I haven't seen a thread this bad since I accidentally packed a bearachute for skydiving.

I thought you canned bear?

Then again - he might have been afraid that we'd misread bear as beer and think he managed to can beer.

The problem with bottling a bear is this....

Bears have excessive amounts of body fat which does not lend well to carbonation or head retention. There have been no sucessful bottle carbonations of bears due to this. Therefore it doesn't matter if you drink it at two days, ten days, or three weeks, the only thing likely to come out of it is another thread entitiled "I waited 3 weeks, why won't my bear carbonate?"

As your equipment and knowledge improves you might try kegging and force carbing the bear. However, it has been noted that bears tend to get a bit agitated when forced into small spaces under pressure. Maybe a keg being larger than a bottle would be OK.

Good Luck with your bear carbonation. Let us know if you get it to work.

For the rest of you who went a bit overboard on this thread, like Revvy. If you had just read the post you would have saw that he was trying to carbonate a bear, and then you could have offered some sage wisdom like I did.

i love you :drunk:

I thought you canned bear?

Then again - he might have been afraid that we'd misread bear as beer and think he managed to can beer.

See, now, I thought you jerked bear. Not canned or bottled it. That's what the park ranger told me anyway.

Sort of off topic......If you saw "I was bitten" last night, you would've seen a man retell the story of how he had his face bitten of by a grizzly bear and lived. I like backpacking, but I'll stick to black bear territory. At least they say to fight aggressively against one, not lie and play dead as your only hope.

See, now, I thought you jerked bear. Not canned or bottled it. That's what the park ranger told me anyway.

Just as long as he hasnt Cayman the bear.

Cayman Island spices are good as an addition. But when you Cayman it... Thats where things start getting complicated.
-Me

I know Revvy didn't mean to be mean, but just reading this thread it did seem a bit harsh, although good advice. I think we scared him off.

I know Revvy didn't mean to be mean, but just reading this thread it did seem a bit harsh, although good advice. I think we scared him off.

Yes, definitely, not likely to be seen in these parts again. We sure did help the heck out of that new guy.

I never did...I knew from reading to wait....

The problem with sneaking beers when you know they will be undercarbed and prolly still green, is that when the beer IS ready and you are enjoying it at it's peak, all those that you could be enjoying now you pissed down the toilet 3 weeks ago....

There is a saying, that the best bottle of beer is ALWAYS the last one in the batch....

It's only beer. Anyone who thinks drinking one of their own hand-crafted beers (green or otherwise) is a "waste" takes themself, and homebrewing in general, far too seriously.

I don't feel that I have nearly enough experience to be handing out advice but you're right, I'm going to anyway. My take is that brewing, and more importantly, becoming a better brewer is all about learning and experimenting. Trying a green beer before it is properly carbonated is, yes, probably a waste of a beer but at least you learn something from it, which I think will pay bigger dividends in the long run than worrying about wasting a measly beer. I say go for it! Open it up, Take a drink, dump the rest out, and learn from it.

Honestly, probably the best way to stop new brewers from drinking beer (or bear) after 2 days in the bottle is to let them try one. They'll likely understand to wait after that. They'll probably try another one after a week and then realize they need to wait even longer. Then they'll try one after 10 days and realize it's still not ready. The one after 2 weeks will seem good, but something will be missing. At 3 weeks they'll be pretty happy with what they've got and start drinking. At some point, some weeks later, if there is still beer left, they'll realize that the beer, amazingly, miraculously even, has gotten even BETTER. They'll wait after that (at least a couple of weeks).

At least that was the route I've taken. But then again, I'm a scientist, and I need empirical data.

ahh neat... i'm tempted to open just on up now... I've never tasted home brew before... that way I can see how the beer ages and tastes better as it stays in the bottles longer... should that be ok?

I recommend it. It will help you understand how beer develops over time. Remember to drink your hydro samples, too. "-)

Next batch bottle a few in those little 8oz baby bottles so you don't have to sacrifice too much.

I hope you don't let revvy's post scare you away from the board. I've gained a ton of insight from this board, and I'm glad I'm a paying member, but for as innovative and cutting edge as some of the ideas and processes can be on this forum, there are a lot of people extremely stuck in their ways, especially the ones who have been at it a while and believe they know it all.

Now that the rant is out of the way I'm going to tell you how I believe it should be done. I haven't been brewing for that long so take it for what it is.

I believe every new brewer should be encouraged to drink their first batch green. OP, take a six pack and 5 days after bottling drink one every 3 days. Notice how the flavors change and improve over time. Notice how the carbonation changes, head retention improves, and off flavors diminish. Take this opportunity to get to know what the bottle conditioning process is really all about. Each beer you drink ask yourself what you are tasting. Note the flavors and aroma, both good and bad. It's your first beer for god's sake, take this opportunity to learn as much about the process as you can. If revvy claims he's NEVER sampled green beer then don't listen to any of his advice on NOT drinking it because he's only repeating hearsay, not speaking from experience. You're not weak for trying it, you are curious, and this will make you a better brewer so go with it.

There are some beer types that are better young. There are some that are better old. Some beers will be as good as they will ever be in 10 days. You'll discover that as you brew more, but not if you skip out on experiencing the stages of development. That being said unless it's a wheat beer or some other specific type of style that is better younger, I don't touch them before a month or so. However this is only because I have tasted enough to know what green beer is and I'm satisfied with my experience. Don't let anyone discourage you from brewing and keep us posted on your progress!

I'm completely clueless as to how Revvy's posts scared anyone off. But to each his own I suppose.

I hope you don't let revvy's post scare you away from the board.

I don't always agree with the Rev but he puts more energy into welcoming/developing new folks than anyone else on the board (IMO).

Not buttering him up. He doesn't know me from Adam (theological reference unintended, but amusing).

Going back to the beginning, the first post that Revvy made wasn't the least bit over the top, yet the OP jumped on his **** right away.

Going back to the beginning, the first post that Revvy made wasn't the least bit over the top, yet the OP jumped on his **** right away.

That was my thought. Seemed like a poster that wanted to just hear "Cool, go for it" and took any advice that was contrary to what he wanted to do as an attack. Then every time Revvy tried to say "Hey, do what you want. I just didn't think it was that good of an idea." he went more nuts and felt he was being abused.

I do think it'd be hilarious if he did come back and see the life this thread has taken of it's own while he's been gone. LOL

I wish I'd read this thread a few days ago, because it would have stopped then. It's stopping now.

Yes, the OP was a little sensitive, but Revvy isn't exactly in the clear, either. He approached this thread with a rather "holier than thou" attitude that I wouldn't have appreciated either. I'm siding with no one on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back