Bottle-hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day all! I wanted to ask opinions on something I just did for the first time. It's a lil weird I think but I'm a lil desperate.
I've been having trouble getting as much hop aroma and flavours into my beer as I would like, even with copious amounts of dry hopping.
So today, as I set up to bottle my newest Pale Ale, I got my water and dextrose heated, and as I took it off the heat I thought, "can I hopstand my priming sugar?" So I did. 1 liter of sugar water and 2 oz of Citra at 170 degrees for 20 minutes.(I did not maintain heat just had a lid on) I then added it to my bottling bucket and racked on top as usual.
I'm about to bottle this now with low expectations, but I wondered if anyone has been this desparate before, and did you get a decent result?
Or as far as opinions go, is this just stupid?
Thank you all in advance.
🍻✌️🇨🇦

I've made a hop tea years ago, basically steep hops in 170-180 deg F water for 30 min or so then add it before bottling. The results were underwhelming to me and likely why I never attempted it again. Obviously one attempt at it doesn't mean it doesn't work but I continually try to just keep things simple... key word try. 😄

Maybe you could try to fix your problem about oxidation first? If you lose flavor and aroma, it's most likely due to oxidation.

Adding the hops in a different way won't affect your oxidation level and will most likely give the same disappointing result.

I'm guessing you use a bottling bucket, stir vigorously, splash it in bottles then cap it with the neck full of air. Not good for hops at all. You could try the NEIPA thread, they probably discussed how to bottle without losing hops flavor and aroma.

^^ You could also look into trifecta (Brewtan B, Ascorbic Acid and Kmeta). Or use either the AA or Kmeta at bottling to scrub some O2 throughout the bottling process. Good luck :mug:

Here's a set of links on bottling IPAs that I have accumulated (as of Feb 2021).

Since then, there have been a couple of good articles that confirm, summarize, and/or refine the techniques.

Here's a set of links on bottling IPAs that I have accumulated (as of Feb 2021).

Since then, there have been a couple of good articles that confirm, summarize, and/or refine the techniques.
This is good ****. This is why this forum is priceless. You, sir, are a warrior. Making **** happen.

@Oldschoolrocker , your problem seems to have been identified. All the info on fixing it has been provided.

Latest posts

Back