Bottle geysers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pentiumone133

Reaction score
So my girlfriend and I made a 4 gallon batch of caramel apple hard cider because she was going downstate to visit some friends and wanted to show off a little bit. So we mix it up, ferment it, bottle it, pasteurize it on the stove but it turns out I didnt pasteurize it soon enough after bottling because all of the bottles are now geysers. She called me today rather upset that she looks like a fool in front of her friends that she talked up this cider to for the last 5 weeks. (all college girls, really like the cider, not so much the beer)

Is there anything that I can tell her to do to make them not explode when they are opened? I asked her how cold they were and she said they were in the fridge for a couple hours. I told her to leave them in there overnight and try again tomorrow.

I think we will stick to flat ciders from now on.

What you have to do is get them to 32* or a little cooler. Not much colder, just a little, if you see just a little ice inside it is good. That could be 25* or so. Then you can open them up. Gases go into solution at lower temps.

Back