Bottle dregs and IBU

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoxFeud

Reaction score
I've been growing some bugs from Bretta Rose dregs (lacto brevis, brett lambicus, and a "proprietary blend of microflora") for the last week or so on a stir plate and I was thinking of using them to inoculate a stronger (1.065 OG, 30 IBU) stout. I'm assuming the LAB just dies but I had a couple questions as I've mostly stuck to kettle sours up to now:

• Will the dead LAB be noticable in the flavor?
  • Should I expect any lactic acid production from the LAB at all?
  • I was thinking I could make a gallon extra wort so I can pull some off pre-boil/hopping and pitch some of the starter to blend in later. How likely is it that, within a year, it will be sour enough to have an effect when blended in with the bulk of the beer? I imagine this varies wildly so if you have any experience with blending/pitching with dregs I'd love to hear it.

• Will the dead LAB be noticable in the flavor?
will have very little to no impact.

• Should I expect any lactic acid production from the LAB at all?
possibly - depends what is in that "proprietary blend of microflora". for example, pedio is hop-tolerant.

• I was thinking I could make a gallon extra wort so I can pull some off pre-boil/hopping and pitch some of the starter to blend in later. How likely is it that, within a year, it will be sour enough to have an effect when blended in with the bulk of the beer?
a well-soured gallon would have a noticeable impact on 4-5 gallons of beer, however it is unlikely to fully sour the beer - more like add a nice lactic tang.

idea: do both. split your starter, put most in the 4-5 gal main batch and put a small amount in the un-hopped gallon. blend back together in a year.

idea: do both. split your starter, put most in the 4-5 gal main batch and put a small amount in the un-hopped gallon. blend back together in a year.
That's what I'm leaning toward now, I suppose I could always pitch more dregs/lacto into the little guy but I bet the twang will complement the brett just fine.

Thanks for the information!

Latest posts

Back