Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weez

Reaction score
I completed primary fermentation last wednesday, added the priming sugar, bottled then refrigerated. I later read the bottles should be conditioned for a period of time at room temp. So on Saturday I removed the bottles and set them at 67F. How long should these condition before they can be placed back in the refrigerator?

Thanks for the advise.

About three weeks. It varies from beer to beer. You might want to give the bottles a light roll on their side to resuspend the yeast if they are collected at the bottom.

I completed primary fermentation last wednesday, added the priming sugar, bottled then refrigerated. I later read the bottles should be conditioned for a period of time at room temp. So on Saturday I removed the bottles and set them at 67F. How long should these condition before they can be placed back in the refrigerator?

Thanks for the advise.

Approx 3 weeks if the ambient temp is 70 or above...if it's cooler than that it will probably take a couple weeks longer. Also if the grav is high....I've had ports and stouts take longer.

In three weeks take a bottle, stick it in the fridge over night and crack it, if it's carbed then they are ready. If not check in another week.

Take a read of this....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

About three weeks. It varies from beer to beer. You might want to give the bottles a light roll on their side to resuspend the yeast if they are collected at the bottom.

Oh yeah, I forget he chilled them....Deacon's right, the yeast more than likely went dormant and compacted on the bottom. Give them a roll...or in your case actually upending them would be a good idea, to lift the yeast up.

You might want to do it again after it's been at room temp for a couple days...even shaking them now, if the beer is cold, then they'd flocculate back down.

Thanks. I gave them yeasties a little shake last night. I guess i will be patient and let them get to work over the next 2 1/2 weeks.

Thanks again.

+1 to Revvy on the 70 degree. I was having problems with carbing at 66 but thought that was a good "room temperature" temperature. After I created a 70 degree room in my basement I'm GOLD in carbing!!

So far every beer (5 or 6) have carbed up wonderfully after 1 week (I leave them in the room for 2-3 weeks).

Conditioning time is highly dependent on the yeast strain. I'm assuming you have done adequate bulk conditioning so the beer isn't green going into the bottles; this usually means 4-5 weeks in the fermenter, or longer if it's a high ABV beer.

I had a Wit carbed in five days. Since it's a Wit it's ready to drink once it's carbed, no need to let the yeast flocc out.

For a low flocc strain like Cali ale, 3 weeks is a minimum. 4-5 is better. Yeast taste = bad. Ick. It takes awhile for the yeast to settle out after the beer is carbonated.

For a high flocc strain like WLP002, rocking the bottles (gently) every couple of days for the first week helps tremendously to speed up carbonation. Once it's fully carbed, it's ready to go, you will know because held up to the light the beer will be clear!

Many commercial breweries filter their beer and add a highly flocculant yeast strain (even a lager strain) to bottle condition their beers, so they won't have issues with cloudy beer.

Latest posts

Back