Bottle conditioning stronger beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering, I know that stronger beers take longer to carbonate, but I was wondering if they ever get as carbed as say, a 4.5% beer would?

Current situation: I have a batch of a 4.7% golden ale and 6.1% IPA in the fridge, those fully carbed in 1 week and have perfect carbonation. My most recent brew ended up being 7.6%, and after a week at room temp (@76-80F) and 2 days in the fridge (same schedule as my previous 2 brews), I'd say although the carbonation is adequate, it's not perfect like the previous 2 brews. It's carbonated but doesn't have a pretty head like pouring the other two.

I did open a bottle of ballast point grapefruit sculpin (7.0% beer), and the carbonation was almost the same as that 7.6% beer. Perhaps once the beer reaches 7% it just won't carb like a weaker beer would? Is there a limit to what kind of carbonation you get via bottle conditioning after a certain point on the ABV scale?

Carbonation is only limited by the amount of priming sugar used. You can use a small amount in any beer for low carbonation or use a large amount for high carbonation. As the ABV increases the yeast is increasingly stressed. The yeast will work slower on the priming sugar. Plan four to eight weeks as the ABV increases. Carbing sooner than planned is just a bonus.

Back