Bottle Conditioning Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few beers from my last 2 brews, i bottled at the same time, that the yeast isnt compacting at the bottom of my bottles. its just clumping together in fluffy bits and settling at the bottom but its really loose and not like a solid yeast cake at the bottom. it didnt stop me from drinking them lol and the flavors arent off, its actually pretty good but i was wondering if anyone knew why the sediment wasnt compacting at the bottom like it normally does? Anybody else ever had this happen?

I probably don't have an answer for you, but I suppose a good starting point would be to ask you what kind of yeast you are using?

it happened with two different batches. i rehydrated the yeast that came with the caribou slobber and dry pitched the ale yeast tht comes with the dead ringer IPA

My guess would be that the few that stayed loose were moved after the yeast compacted or partially compacted.

You get a nice solid yeast cake if you don't disturb it at all when it is settling. If you disturb it, some of it will move around and likely not smooth out again.

I wouldn't worry about it at all, but try not to drink it unless you are used to consuming yeast. If your body isn't acclimated to yeast, stay within a quick walk to a toilet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My guess would be that the few that stayed loose were moved after the yeast compacted or partially compacted.

You get a nice solid yeast cake if you don't disturb it at all when it is settling. If you disturb it, some of it will move around and likely not smooth out again.

I wouldn't worry about it at all, but try not to drink it unless you are used to consuming yeast. If your body isn't acclimated to yeast, stay within a quick walk to a toilet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

no it wasnt from being disturbed the sediment never compacted thru 2 weeks conditioning or the week it sat in the fridge.. the sediment never settled normally it was loose and floated around. it never formed a solid cake in the bottle. it was in fluffy chunks and never settled to the bottom it just floated around in the bottle.. no cake ever formed and it wasnt turned over in the fridge or while conditioning. its a problem with the priming sugar or the yeast or maybe the bottles.. i was jw if anyone else has ever had this problem

I will be be bottling my Caribou Slobber in another two weeks...I will have had it sitting in the primary for four weeks total. I actually plan to cold crash the carboy on my deck for a few days prior to help drop out any unseen floaters or residues...will bottle them up...and after 3 weeks put a few in the fridge to cool and test my work...I will let you know how it comes out. NOTE: The 9 days I kept the ferm temp at around 64 to 65 ...I then moved it up to 68 to help keep the yeast active a little longer. I am still getting bubbles on day 11...so far so good..

Back