Bottle conditioning lagers. How to calculate priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhem

Reaction score
I've been brewing ales for 3 years but this is my first lager. I will be ready to bottle within the month when it finishes a 6 week lagering period.

I will be bottle priming.

I know that when you use the calculators like the Tastybrew one: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html The amount of priming sugar depends on the temp of fermentation because of residual C02 in solution.

I fermented at 50F but the beer will have been lagering at 34F for 6 weeks. If I plug in 50F and 34F the difference in priming sugar is almost 35%! Which temp do I need to use for the residual CO2 input?

Your going to add sugar after fermentation and Lagering is complete. You can let the bottles sit at or near room temps. I think that ambient room temp should be fine.

Your going to add sugar after fermentation and Lagering is complete. You can let the bottles sit at or near room temps. I think that ambient room temp should be fine.

Right, I am going to bring the beer up to 65F after lagering, to bottle. So if I do that I need to use 65F to plug into the priming calculators?

The last lager I bottled, I lagered at 31F. When I bottled, I brought the temp up to 42F and then bottled. I used 42 as the temp of the beer. Which is pretty much the temp it was when it went into the bottle. It came out fine.
After it was bottled, I let it set in the house on the floor for a couple of weeks. It then went back to the cooler for a couple of weeks, before I drank it.

Bottling this one this week! I just hit 5 weeks of lagering at 33F. I have the fermenters sitting at 62F ambient now with blankets over them so they will slowly rise to 62F Excited to bottle my first lager! I'm going to heat my priming sugar water, boil the sugar solution, let it cool to about 65F in the fridge and then stir in about 4 grams of dry ale yeast for each 5.5 gallon fermenter for priming yeast. Once it rehydrates I will mix my solution into the beer at 65F and bottle away!

That is what I did with my lagers...bring them up to room temp and then bottle. I always had proper carbonation that way.

I would also add 1/4 of a packet of dry yeast at bottling time. I don't know if it is necessary, but it's cheap insurance.

Back