bottle conditioning in the fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
i have an ale called American Light thats been bottle conditioning for a few weeks and i was wondering if i could stick a case of them in the fridge for about a week to cold crash before drinking or if this would slow down the aging process, will it age just the same in the fridge as it will at room temp? or will being in the fridge slow down the aging process?

Bottle conditioning is really just another fermentation, so ideally you want the carbonation portion of it done at the same temp as you did primary fermentation. It can be a little warmer without ill-effect so as to speed up carbonation.

So, if your beer is done carbonating (usually approx. 3 weeks), it's perfectly fine to put it in the fridge. I like to check mine (drink one) periodically to see how the carbonation is developing. Then I can usually tell when it's done. Additionally, it's preferrable to put it in the fridge a few days before drinking because beer holds more CO2 in solution at colder temperatures. So, if you drink it warm, there is more CO2 in the head space of the bottle and this CO2 gets blown out when you open it... and your beer is a little flatter. If you store it in the fridge for a few days, some CO2 in the head space goes back into solution in the beer due to the colder temperature and makes it a little more carbonated.

Maybe that's more than you wanted to know, but I like to explain the "why" of things so people can understand better.:)

As far as "aging" goes, different beers tend to "peak" at different times. A light Am. ale probably wouldn't need much "aging" to peak. As an example, most of the low to mid-range OG ales I brew seem to "peak" at about 5-6 weeks in the bottle. But they're still good before and after. That's just the point when flavors from the malt, hops, and yeast seem to be most balanced. I don't think this type of "aging" is temperature-dependant... at least not enough to matter unless you're entering a competition.

Latest posts

Back