Bottle conditioning in Growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgenius

Reaction score
I brewed a 1/2 batch of Irish Red to sell to a friend and he wants them in growlers. As I haven't moved into kegging yet, and don't have a counter-pressure bottle filler, I would have to bottle condition them for a couple weeks to carbonate. I've heard that growlers are not made to handle the pressure and as a result, explode. Some people say otherwise. My guess is they do explode at certain volumes of CO2. But since I brewed an Irish Red, and they are typically only carbonated to 1 volume of CO2, do you think that small volume of pressure would make my growlers explode?

This is the type of growler I would be using

1241.jpg

Cheers! :mug:

I think that with the lack of a rating what you would experience is inconsistancy. Sure some might work but others of the same batch and handling might go boom...

I think the general consensus is not to bottle condition beer in these growlers. I'm sure people have, ymmv etc...Your other problem is that the screw cap won't really hold pressure that well. When I counterpressure fill one of those growlers, I can get two days without loosing much carbonation if I'm lucky and keep it cool the whole time.

If it were me, I'd get to drinking a bunch of bombers, or get some of the thicker growers.

Back