Bottle Conditioning High OG Russian Imp. Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmberger21

Reaction score
I am going to be bottling a relatively high OG (1.084) Russian Imperial Stout this coming weekend. I have read places where people tend to add additional yeast along with their corn sugar, or sugar of choice, at bottling time with higher OG beers. I mostly keg now and am not too familiar with bottling anymore. I don't know the FG yet as I have not checked, but it was fermented with WLP001. That yeast is apparently highly tolerant of alcohol and I am assuming with an attenuation of 75% (FG of 1.020) that it will be about 8.5% ABV. Im thinking that the yeast will be healthy enough to NOT have to add any additional yeast for carbing, but I would like some further input before I bottle.

My RIP was 1.101 OG. about 1.022 FG (didn't write it down) So about 10% ABV Use two packs of US05 for fermenting. Fermented for a little over 1 month. Oaked with 4 ounces of chips.

I did not add any extra yeast and it is one of my best beers in 88 batches.

I have seen about 3/4 pack of EC-1118 champagne yeast suggested. I apparently didn't need it.

I brew a 10% RIS every year (with S05) and haven't had any issues bottle carbonating until this past year... The bottle's have finally carbed, but it took over 6 months. I think these summer temps finally got the yeast moving. But I let my RIS bulk age for 6 months prior to bottling, so there probably wasn't a lot of fresh yeast left at that point.

For the extra 3 bucks, I plan on adding some fresh S05 at bottling time for my next batch.

I brew a 10% RIS every year (with S05) and haven't had any issues bottle carbonating until this past year... The bottle's have finally carbed, but it took over 6 months. I think these summer temps finally got the yeast moving. But I let my RIS bulk age for 6 months prior to bottling, so there probably wasn't a lot of fresh yeast left at that point.

For the extra 3 bucks, I plan on adding some fresh S05 at bottling time for my next batch.

Bulk aged for 6 months, I would probably add yeast......

The longest before bottling I have done is about 1 1/2 months.

Check the alcohol tolerance of US05. You might want something else.

Thanks for all the replies fellas! I would say after everything everyone had to say I will probably just bottle this one w/o adding anything other than priming sugar. It has only been sitting for 5 weeks and it has WLP001 in it so I will probably let it fly.

Back