Bottle conditioning HEF? How long?confused...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshulha

Reaction score
OK guys I put priming sugar in my bottles two weeks ago. I tried one today it was almost carbonated properly. It was drinkable(barely) but the taste could be better. I read conflicting reports on how long wheat beer needs to be conditioned in the bottle. 3 day, 3 week, to 3 months. Any advice?

2-3 weeks should do it depending on the temperature you've got. Warmer temps =faster carb. How much sugar did you use and how much beer did you bottle?

2 or 3 weeks for carbonation would be about right. Bottle 'conditioning' could take months depending on your recipe.
I've had IPAs carbed and delicious in 1 week. I also had a fresh ground, cold brewed Rwandan coffee stout that was carbed at 3 weeks, but took 4 months to start to be delicious.
Do some research on the style you're brewing and the recommended time in secondary or bottle.
Based on what you've experienced so far, I'd try one each month until you think the flavor's right.
The key might be to have a batch bottled to try each month, so each month a batch comes to maturation...

My personal rule of thumb - the more ingredients the longer it needs to mature. I love fresh IPAS and old Stouts (not that I can GET them old before I drink them).

TYPICALLY I will drink my lighter color brews young. The HEFs I have made seemed fresh from the get go and the longer I had them the more they seem to get . . . more bland.

What mex said - if it does not taste right - let it ride for a few weeks. I had one beer that was undrinkable. Set it aside and forgot about it. Came back 4 months later and the were . . . good (not great).

I just cracked open my first bottle last Friday and it was good after 2 weeks.

So much of the flavors of beer depends on the temperature during fermentation and maturation that giving general instructions based on time is rather pointless. Unless you match the temperatures I use (and the length of time) you will get different results.

Back