Bottle Conditioning and Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxkiskekyxx

Reaction score
At bottling time I was ready to pick up a pack of Safale US-05 but the shop owner instructed me against it and now I'm feeling foolish. At 3 and a half weeks my brew is still highly undercarbonated. Should I have stuck with my gut or am I bashing that kind man without knowing the facts? I pitched with brown sugar on a 5 and a half gallon batch with an abv of 8.5.

You are leaving out all of the important details
How much sugar
What temperature are the bottles conditioning at
What was your fermentation schedule

Without that info no one can help you

Xpertskir said:
You are leaving out all of the important details
How much sugar
What temperature are the bottles conditioning at
What was your fermentation schedule

Without that info no one can help you

132 g brown sugar
68 degrees F
3 weeks primary including 10 days of dry hopping before bottling

After 3 weeks in carboy before bottling you should not have needed to repitch. Even 8.5% should not have killed off enough yeast to make a difference.

Using brown sugar as priming sugar is a bit... Unconventional. That might be a part of the issue.

I had a Scottish that I let sit for 3 months before bottling. It took another 3 months for the bottles to carb, but it did come around.

Al you can do now is wait and open a bottle every 2 weeks. Hopefully it comes around before the good hop flavor of an IPA has faded.

Other than the brown sugar, everything seems to be very typical. 3.5 weeks isnt that long for a high gravity beer. If at 5 or 6 weeks you are not close to your desired level of carbonation then you may have a problem.

If at 5 or 6 weeks you are not close to your desired level of carbonation then you may have a problem.

Hell, even then you might still need to wait. Some folks have had to wait 5 or 6 months for a big beer to carb up.

But yes,,,in the future go with your gut instinct, its your beer, your process.......then you'll not have to wonder whether or not you did right by your beer.

Back