Bottle Conditioning after Cold Crash question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspain3

Reaction score
So I cold crashed my first beer for a week in the low 30s and added gelatin a day or so after the crash begin (trying to help the chill haze particles fall out). After the crash, I bottled before the beer warmed up using 4 ounces of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch (IPA). The beers have been boxed up in a room that stays in the low-to-mid 70s for 2.5 weeks.

For those who have done this, how long does it generally take your beers to carb up? After 2 weeks, I sampled one and it was not very carbed at all. Barely a thin layer of bubbles. I'm hoping it comes together this week and finishes off in week 4, but I'm starting to have my doubts.

Before sampling did you put the beer in the fridge for about 24 hours? It's possible all the co2 was in the headspace and it escaped once you opened it. Putting it in the fridge will cause the co2 in the headspace go into the beer to reach equilibrium.

It's also possible that a lot of the yeast dropped out of suspension from the gelatin and cold crashing. If this is the cause it will just a little longer to be carbonated.

Another option the priming sugar didn't get fully mixed with the beer and you just sampled one that didn't get a lot of priming sugar. Others maybe over carbed.

I would say just give it another week or two then put one in the fridge before trying another one.

I didn't think about the CO2 being in the headspace. I did just throw it in the freezer for 20 minutes rather than a full 24 hours in the fridge so that's definitely a possibility. When I do my next weekly sample, I'll make sure to throw it in the fridge the night before.

So I cold crashed my first beer for a week in the low 30s and added gelatin a day or so after the crash begin (trying to help the chill haze particles fall out). After the crash, I bottled before the beer warmed up using 4 ounces of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch (IPA). The beers have been boxed up in a room that stays in the low-to-mid 70s for 2.5 weeks.

For those who have done this, how long does it generally take your beers to carb up? After 2 weeks, I sampled one and it was not very carbed at all. Barely a thin layer of bubbles. I'm hoping it comes together this week and finishes off in week 4, but I'm starting to have my doubts.

Sometimes it carbs in a week, other times it takes 8 weeks.
Usually 1-2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back