Bottle Conditioned Cider - refrigerating / bottle bomb Qs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abseven

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am sure these questions have been answered before but I haven't turned up the answers to my exact situation in fairly exhaustive searches. But forgive me if I missed another thread.

This is my second year making cider and last year turned out great, but I LOST my recipe and forget some bits here and there! I used the recipe from a local brew store staffer but he's not there any longer.

Here's the situation.
* Fresh cider treated only with UV light, 1.052 original gravity
* Fermented 5 gal bucket with a pack of champagne yeast - E-1118 Lalvin
* Temp downstairs was 70 deg at the time. Don't know precise temp upstairs but it was probably 72 deg.
* Allowed to ferment for about a week and half, never saw any bubbles (same as last year). At that point I got a 1.003 final gravity reading and the temperature was about 68 deg downstairs so with temp adjustment I assumed that was 1.000 or below--finished. That said, the cider tasted slightly sweeter to me than it did at the same step last year (if memory serves, which it probably does not). For that reason I was a little concerned about whether it was done fermenting or not. Nonetheless I made the silly decision to continue, rather than let it sit another week to be sure. Don't ask me why, I don't know.
* Per local guy's recipe I skipped secondary and went directly to bottle conditioning. I loaded carbonation drops into bottles and siphoned cider in, on September 29.
* Bottles have been sitting to condition since then.

Questions.
1. Local Guy had, if I remember correctly, told me that I need to refrigerate once conditioning is complete. I seem to remember that was a couple weeks. Do you agree? In that case, it is time for me to refrigerate. It should be drinkable in that case, from now on. Agree that I need to refrigerate at this point? My cellar is not reliably cool, though it's probably in the high 50s now.

2. If fermentation had NOT completed by 9-29, and I now have over-fermented cider in my bottles, they could become bottle bombs. I haven't been able to find specific information for how do I figure that out (since none have exploded yet)? And if I do have a chance of bottle bombs, does that mean there's nothing I can do about it? I like to give these bottles as gifts but I would never share them if there is a chance of them exploding. Once they are loaded in the fridge, I assume the chance of explosion goes down since the gas is cooled (contracts in volume). Is that accurate?

If I did have bottle bombs, would they have gone off by now?

Thanks for reading all that and your advice!

AB

It geysered and foamed all over the place. Crap! So now I have a bunch of over-fermented bottle bombs. What's the play here?

Also, given the original post info, do you think I left them to bottle condition too long or was it not fully fermented before bottling?

Such an amateur...

Hi abseven, and welcome. The answer may be none of the above. You may have over-primed the bottles by adding too much sugar OR you may have added the right amount of sugar but added the priming sugar to a solution that was still saturated with CO2 (the outcome is again over-priming). How much sugar did you add/per gallon? And had you degassed prior to priming?

So those may be the cause. The repair? Well, I might place the bottles in your freezer to bring the temperature close to freezing - You really need to be very careful if these are in glass bottles as the liquid will expand upon freezing but you don't want ice, you want the temperature to be about 34 or 35 F . This will reduce the pressure the CO2 exerts and if you then remove each bottle from the freezer and crack open the caps a fraction you will allow the gas to more gently escape and every minute you open that crack a fraction more until you remove the caps. Then you re cap. There should be enough residual CO2 to provide the sparkle you intended.

Hi Bernard, thanks for the info. I used Brewers Best carbonation drops; one per bottle, per directions. So I don't think it's possible that I over-sugared. Before bottling I had removed the lid of my primary fermentation bucket to check specific gravity and during bottling the lid was completely off so I'm not sure how there could have been any dissolved CO2. The cider was not actively bubbling while I was bottling.

Good idea as to repair. That will take a long time but will be worth it.

Back