Bottle & Carboy Washer Comparisons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKing

Reaction score
I've owned the Vintage Shop "stainless steel" Deluxe Bottle Washer for around a year now, and have been satisfied up until recently. Always connected this directly to my utility sink faucet, and although it never had a perfect water-tight seal the jet spray and effectiveness of this product has been good for my use.

A few nights ago it seems this thing essentially fell off the cliff. Now it shoots water out the top while in the "off" position, and when opened up water shoots out both sides where the spring lever is located. Can't clean anything without water spraying everywhere. Noticed rust at both sides as well.

I've taken care of this thing keeping it as dry as possible when not in use.
Unfortunately I chose this over the competition that offers the lifetime guarantee on their product so I'm likely in the market for a new washer.

Looks like there are two other standard products.

1. The Jet Bottle Washer which appears to be brass
2. Fermtech Blast Washer which is mostly plastic

I use this for cleaning out bottles, carboys, tubing, buckets, and anything else that will work.
So which of these two is the best option, cause I sure will not be going back for another one by Vintage Shop.

The plunger is either stuck or the seal is worn. Hard water can also cause deposits and trouble in that area over time.

I have the plastic version (Single Blast Bottle Washer) that suddenly also got stuck open. I pushed a nail punch in the opening and after a bit of finagling, I got it back to seat and seal again. It still happens once in a while, but now I'm warned, and prepared.

Have you tried moving the lever up and down submerged in soapy water? If there are calcium/mineral deposits a little vinegar may help to dissolve those.

This one has a metal hinge with a spring srapped around it and fastened to the base of the metal tube. Spring loaded and still moves fine.
One side of the hinge is now unfastened from the base.
Not plugged or stuck, it's the opposite since water shoots out from everywhere now.

Back