Bottle carbonation in garage too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad87us

Reaction score
I've read a bunch of threads about not letting the bottles get too cold, stalling the yeast. But living in Florida I don't think cold will be my issue. My question is if it's ok to store filled bottles in my garage, probably getting to around 90 degrees or higher? My other viable options are storing in my fermentation chamber at whatever temp it's set for my current primary, or in my house which ranges between 74-80.

I live in Phoenix and I wouldn't throw mine in the garage. I just leave them in my closet or cabinet. Someone might tell me I'm doing it wrong, but it's my only option really and they still turn out great. (78ish indoors temp too)

I would not put them in the garage in Florida, a closet would definitely be better. It might not make too much of a difference, but living in a similar climate in Texas, I would not take the risk. Usually for ales, storing inside around 60-80 degrees seems to be about right.

-Jeff

Alright so I'll just find some extra space in the house to store them until they go to the fridge.

If you have space in your fermentation chamber, I'd keep them there. Inside the house is definitely better than the garage.

Heat and changes in temperature are not good for beer.

I gotta say that I keep mine in an extra cooler in my garage in Florida. The cooler keeps the light off of them. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but I can't say I've ever had a problem...

You've given me something to think about.

My beer fills half the closets and cupboards in the house. It is ok, but I wish I had a basement or something to keep it cooler.

In a cooler is a good idea, it'll help moderate the temp seingst a bit.

I've been looking into buying those cheap rubbermaid containers from walmart and storing bottles in there in a corner or behind a couch. It makes it easy in the unlikely event of a bottle bomb so that there is no worry about spilled beer.

They say never to worry about spilled milk, but beer on the other hand...

Latest posts

Back