bottle caps question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch today. It was a brewers best kit. I needed less caps than what I soaked in sanitizer due to 22oz bottles and such. Anyway, if the caps were soaked and unused, can they be used? I thought that I read somewhere that they're no good after they're soaked?

If they were regular caps they'll be ok to use later. I think moisture activates oxygen barrier caps, but am wondering/thinking, even if oxygen barrier caps were activated, they'd still be ok for "short" term storage.

I only use the o2 caps and have not had an issue with any pre soaked caps. Well. Just one. I have noticed that if they weren't dried well, quickly, that I found little rust spots near the edges. I threw those out.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

I only use the o2 caps and have not had an issue with any pre soaked caps. Well. Just one. I have noticed that if they weren't dried well, quickly, that I found little rust spots near the edges. I threw those out.

Agreed. I too had rust on some unused caps. I now am more careful and only soak the caps I need.

If I do end up with some extra wet ones, I make sure to place them on a paper towel to dry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The bottle caps I soaked in sanitizer and then let dry because I didn't use them for the batch I was capping all rusted and I had to throw them out. The ones I boiled and let cool for sanitizing worked fine and didn't rust when I let the left over ones dry. Rinse your leftover caps well and let them dry and if they rust you know to blame the sanitizer and not use that method again or count the bottle caps carefully so you don't have any left.

I count out my caps,then dunk them in Starsan as I use them. That way,they aren't soaked & activating the o2 barrier part. Starsan works quick enough where they don't need to be soaked.

I just let the unused ones sit on a towel on the counter and dry out. I've only had rust problems when you throw them back in the bag and seal it up.

Any extra I have left over, I rinse off with warm water and dry them. I don't have a problem with caps rusting any more..

Sent from my van, down by the river.

Kinda same issue with extra bottles soaked in starsan. Is it cool to just hang them on the drying rack till next brew? Just resoak them?

I'm probably the unusual one here, but I will say that I have never once sanitized a bottle cap and I have never had any issues. I do make sure my work area is clean and I keep the caps sealed up in a ziplock when storing them.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't sanitize, you can make your own decision, but that's what I do.

Has anyone heard of cork bottle caps? Old school caps I guess. A local retailer is going to give me a bunch at no charge.

Those are old school. Pop used them in the 60's when he was brewing. I don't think they seal as well as modern ones. But they worked fine for the average length of time beer remains bottled.

ON the rare occasions that I bottle, I soak my caps in cheap ($8 a liter) vodka. It'll kill any baddies and takes almost no time to dry. As a bonus you can mix what's in the bowl with OJ (kidding).

I count out my caps,then dunk them in Starsan as I use them. That way,they aren't soaked & activating the o2 barrier part. Starsan works quick enough where they don't need to be soaked.

I thought that StarSan took 60 seconds to work. You cap immediately after dunking?

I thought that StarSan took 60 seconds to work. You cap immediately after dunking?

Yes. They have to state a minimum time on instructions,but it actually works in like 15 seconds for the caps. 30 seconds tops. Never a problem with infections from the caps. The capper definitely,but not the caps.

You'll be fine. Just make sure that you dry them off. I left a few without drying and they developed some rust but it's easily avoidable.

Well I picked up the free bottle caps the other day. I believe that they've been sitting in a barn for around 50 years. I smell mildew around them so my guess is that they're no good?

I'm probably the unusual one here, but I will say that I have never once sanitized a bottle cap and I have never had any issues. I do make sure my work area is clean and I keep the caps sealed up in a ziplock when storing them.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't sanitize, you can make your own decision, but that's what I do.

Same here. Nor do I presoak the caps.
  • Keep them clean.
  • Remove them from packaging only when it's time to cap.
  • Once capped, tip the bottle once to wet the inside of the cap with beer and done...

Same here. Nor do I presoak the caps.
  • Keep them clean.
  • Remove them from packaging only when it's time to cap.
  • Once capped, tip the bottle once to wet the inside of the cap with beer and done...

^+1 more. This is exactly my process for bottling.

Yes. They have to state a minimum time on instructions,but it actually works in like 15 seconds for the caps. 30 seconds tops. Never a problem with infections from the caps. The capper definitely,but not the caps.

Some folks get a metallic taste from starsan'ed caps - it is acid and bottle caps are plated steel. Personally I have boiled for years (when I bother to bottle).

Doesn't make sense that the metallic taste would come from the caps. They have a plastic liner that's the only part to touch the beer?...

As the normal course of my bottling day I always sanitize more caps than I have bottles. Inevitably, I'll screw up 3 or 4 when I'm capping. Any leftovers, I just let dry and put them back in the ziplock. I've never had a rust problem and never had a bad carbonation experience.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

But that part shouldn't be in contact with the beer. Just the lip on the bottle where it seals.

Gets on the lip of the bottle if the cap rusts. Never said it got in the beer in the bottle.

I've had this from a commercial brew as well. If you pour in a glass no issue, but I can drink my beers out of the bottle (no sediment).

Back