Bottle Cap Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satokad

Reaction score
Hello All,

Three weeks ago, I bottled up a two gallon batch of a Deadringer IPA. I had run out of bottle caps from my Norther Brewer kit so I bought some BSG Oxygen Absorbing caps from my local store. These caps did not tighten the way the others did, and they almost looked like they weren't properly set on the bottles. I held several upside down and none of them leaked at all, so I chalked it up to it being a different style cap.
Well, three weeks came on Thanksgiving Day so I put a few in the fridge and we had them at dinner. I was very disappointed in the amount of carbonation. It wasn't flat, but it just didn't have the same carbonation that my first two batches had.
Is there something in the oxygen absorbing caps that makes them sit differently? Not sure what the problem is.
Thanks.

How did you carbonate them? If using sugar solution and a bottling bucket I have sometimes had the sugar solution stratify, causing different levels of carbonation in my bottles. I’d be surprised if it was something in the O2-absorbing caps themselves that made them not seal, otherwise it would be a more commonly-observed problem.

How did you carbonate them? If using sugar solution and a bottling bucket I have sometimes had the sugar solution stratify, causing different levels of carbonation in my bottles. I’d be surprised if it was something in the O2-absorbing caps themselves that made them not seal, otherwise it would be a more commonly-observed problem.

It was sugar solution in the bucket. I just popped another one the other day, after letting it sit an extra week, and they were a little better.

Could be the caps but it's important to slow mix the beer every 3/4 bottles when filling up to get a even mixture or the sugar will just sink.

Is this the exact same recipe as your first two batches?

Cooler temps, tired yeast or misweighed priming sugar could be the cause. In the case of the first two, give them a couple more weeks. The third, well, you've got what you've got.

Could be the caps but it's important to slow mix the beer every 3/4 bottles when filling up to get a even mixture or the sugar will just sink.

I've never seen this, not that it doesn't happen. I've bottled on and off for close to 10 years now and had pretty consistent results.

I add the sugar solution, based of NB priming calculated and weighed in grams on a very accurate digital scale, to the empty bottling bucket then siphon onto the sugar with the hose resting at the bottom of the bucket. I then bottle from the spigot.

At what temp were you storing the bottles during conditioning? Should be around 70F, give or take a few degrees. If it's cooler, it will take longer for them to carb up.

It was just shy of 70 degrees.

Is this the exact same recipe as your first two batches?

Cooler temps, tired yeast or misweighed priming sugar could be the cause. In the case of the first two, give them a couple more weeks. The third, well, you've got what you've got.

I've never seen this, not that it doesn't happen. I've bottled on and off for close to 10 years now and had pretty consistent results.

I add the sugar solution, based of NB priming calculated and weighed in grams on a very accurate digital scale, to the empty bottling bucket then siphon onto the sugar with the hose resting at the bottom of the bucket. I then bottle from the spigot.

No. Each of my batches was a different recipe.

Back