Bottle bombs...Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinich

Reaction score
Long story short:
Made some mead, Bottled before it finished fermenting , have created bottle bombs.

Mead tastes good, and is very effervesent.

My plan:
Open the bottles of mead, release the pressure let sit for ten to 20 minutes move to different bottles . reseal, drink in 6 months or so.

Mead would still have some "fizz" , shouldn't have to worry about oxidation, but not enough to blow up bottles.

Sounds logical to me

Will this work

D

Well, I'm not sure!

Do you plan on racking from own bottle to another? I think even that would cause some oxidation. I'd do one of two things- first, just remove the cork and then replace it with a new one. That would minimize oxygen, but release the pressure in the bottle.

Is there a lot of sediment? If there is (and that's why you want to rebottle), I'd rack each bottle gently to a bottling bucket, and bottle in fresh sanitized bottles. Then reclose. That wouldn't be my preference, though. I think there would be a much greater risk of oxidation this way. Maybe adding one crushed campden tablet (dissolved in 1/4 cup of water) per gallon of mead into the bottling bucket would help to negate any oxygen exposure, but I probably wouldn't risk it.

I'd just remove the cork, and gently recork.

Uncork them, and firmly tap the top of the bottle with something that will not break the glass (be prepared for lots of fizzing). Should send a shock wave that will release the co2 from the mead

Then re-cork and store cold.

Back