Bottle Bomb Tester

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, a pellet gun's no fun, just shattered glass -- not an explosion. Think, how could we increase the pressure inside that bottle....hmmm...pressure vs volume...liquids and gases expand when heated....I think you get the idea!

No, a pellet gun's no fun, just shattered glass -- not an explosion. Think, how could we increase the pressure inside that bottle....hmmm...pressure vs volume...liquids and gases expand when heated....I think you get the idea!

I think it will explode, the pellet would fracture the glass which would be a weak spot which the internal pressure would rip apart. The strength would vary depending on the amount of pressure.
If the bottle was open or empty then yes it would just shatter.

I think you should keep the bottle in your pocket tomorrow... You know, just to jazz things up.

^^ First thread I ever read on here where somebody tried to make a bottle blow. Nerves of steel or mind of clay but either way seems you are the first to try this.. and BTW, I know your mind's not made of clay. Stay safe! Good luck, or as Passepawn said "worst of luck".

Let's see that baby blow!

Almost poetic? How's this! :)

Will this stubborn cider bottle blow?

Possibly maim you and for us play a show?

I have real mixed feelings about all of that,

Just hope you'll be wearing goggles and a cap.

Plus gloves, body armor, maybe a helmet too,

While you keep handling that explosive brew.

Good luck hairy brown beast keep (Bull?) singing the song

About things that we're scared of doing wrong.

In your dangerous adventures we escape

Be carefull of that bottle for goodness sake.

Getting poetic now I see? Hows this
Too much carb?
Try shaking, or sit in the sun
Run, brown beast
My stab at a haiku for this thread. Pretty good for being awake for 10 minuets....

Ha ha awesome!

With bottle in hand, I grab thy neck
I give it a shake, what the heck
Will it go just one more day?
Or will it blow? Some might say
Bottle bombs, WMD's and IED's too
These were some names given to you
I handle with care as I pry you open
What? No boom? You must be jokin;)

Who is this psycho, playing with bombs?
Me thinkest he must have been hitting the bong

It started when young, on this we can bet
Sticking his fork in the electrical outlet

Where will this end? Only god knows...
His logins may stop when that bottlebomb blows!

Hahahahhaha oh ****!

bacteria from my cider got into my brain
I'm comfortably numb and feel no pain
If this bottle decides she wants to blow
She better not charge me, that stanky Ho

image-3643205391.jpg

So here I go, wish me luck
Gonna open this *****
Like I don't give a phuck
I might die performing this part
Glass shards may fly
Rippin my ass apart
But if I succeed and all is good
I'll drink this **** like a woodchuck would

image-3716166615.jpg

So here It is and I'm still alive
Bottle bombs are a bunch of jive
What happened you ask?
Well it was no big deal
I've had more action making a fat pig squeal

In all honesty it was tasty. A little to bubbly for me but still good. And as far as the "pop" when I opened it... Very uneventful. Actually weaker than some of my other ones I've opened. I guess either the concentrate didn't get mixed evenly or something, I have no clue. But I'm not afraid of bottle bombs any longer;) plus those were some of the cheapest, thin looking bottles I've ever used. No offense to Northern Brewer ( that's where I purchased them) but those bottles kinda had me worried when I received them.

What! NO BOOM! Come on! Somebody's gotta blow something up! We can't just let it end like this!

Do you like my car bed? Pretty cool, huh? Yooper's probably going to ban me now since I'm obviously 15 years old.

paulster2626 said:
Do you like my car bed? Pretty cool, huh? Yooper's probably going to ban me now since I'm obviously 15 years old.

Totally busted. TX will probably overlook it though, to keep getting your 25 bucks ;)

Come on............When Myth Busters fail to prove a myth..........they always come back with a bigger and badder attempt. Don't give up, never ever give up.

Also, this makes me happy I don't need to invest into a kegging system just yet...

I just drank one of my "3 day" carbed ciders and it was so good. 3 day meaning I left it out at 74* for 3 days to bottle carb before I placed It in my fridge.

Come on............When Myth Busters fail to prove a myth..........they always come back with a bigger and badder attempt. Don't give up, never ever give up.

You're right.

Make sugar solution. Put in bottle. Add some yeast - use old slurry, whatever. Check gravity before, and monitor with webcam recording constantly. Capturing the explosion is a definite must. I'd also put a grapefruit or something beside it just for fun.

Also have 2 control vessels that are fermenting as well with the same sugar solution and yeast content. These will be in growlers/whatever with airlock or foil. Check the gravity every now and then and take the average of the two and we can assume nearly the same thing is happening in the bottle.

This whole project should tell us at what reduction in gravity points does a bottle explode. A GREAT science experiment for your kids, actually. They'd get an A+ for this for sure, and it would be hilarious to send kids to school with legitimate alcohol.

Then, do the same experiment but with full 24oz bottles. 12 of them. People can place bets on what will blow first!

Then do a full 5 gallon corny. Sky's the limit, really.

So, was this a demonstration of the fact that you can Carb cider in the bottle?

Sorta, I wanted to see how long it would take for a back sweetend bottle that I wanted to be sparkling, bubbly whatever and still retain its sweetness, how long it would take for it to become a possible "bottle bomb".

Latest posts

Back