Bottle Bomb Tester

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add a new quote to the list of watching water boil or the grass grow... "it's like sitting around waiting for a cider bomb to blow"

Been almost 24 hours hope he hasn't had to visit the hospital. Good luck man if I was you I wouldn't keep picking that thing up and shaking it.

Yeah I'm done for the night, 724pm here and I guess it's not going to happen today, there's always tomorrow:)

I just found this thread and was SO hoping it would have happened by this point, 9 pages of edge of my seat though!

Daily Update:

image-1279405984.jpg

Regular unpressurized lid

image-4196137155.jpg

Test Subjects lid. It's doing something for sure, but taking wayyyy to long!

I am stuck at work for the next 7 hours, I now have something to look forward to.

Maybe the heat got to it? It's been in the upper 80's here and being in that plastic who knows how hot it got in there.

Hey not sure how accurate this quote is but it kinda makes sense. I saw it in the "bottling/kegging" forum here.
"Once the pressure in your bottles gets to a certain point, the ale yeast will be killed off because it can't live in a high pressure environment."

JtotheA said:
Hey not sure how accurate this quote is but it kinda makes sense. I saw it in the "bottling/kegging" forum here.
"Once the pressure in your bottles gets to a certain point, the ale yeast will be killed off because it can't live in a high pressure environment."

You know I think your right. I just cracked open another bottle that I had sitting out a couple days less than my test subject and it made a nice pop sound when I cracked it open. I poured it and this is the result:

image-1662104531.jpg

Nice and way too over carbed, but still great tasting.

image-2407827293.jpg

Look at that beauty! And oh so tasty:)

image-3451353701.jpg

This is another that has been sitting outside compared to...

image-301057712.jpg

This that has been in the fridge from 1 day after I bottled it. If anything I learned that my caps can be used as an indicator of pressure build up in my bottles and I can use the caps to gauge when my bottles are ready:)

So I guess the test is over:( but hey we all learned something right? Bottle bombs are not that scary and I put 2 cans of concentrate for a 4 gallon batch and that's a lot of sugar! It should have blown! I got some pics of the test subject in comparison to a regular bottle too, and I WILL OPEN THE TEST BOTTLE, just let it chill in the fridge awhile first:)

image-3816196874.jpg

Look ma no gloves!

image-129473001.jpg

The lid

image-3138198479.jpg

Test subject on right, the one on the left was left out for a couple days short of the test bottle. It looks like to me it got to a certain point and just stopped, what do you think?

image-2352049626.jpg

Another interesting note, all of these bottles were left outside the same amount of time, notice the one bottles lid on the left, it's bulging in comparison to the rest, did it get more sugar?

Attachments

• image-2193418718.jpg
    image-2193418718.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 388
I think your observation is correct. But man, each pic you send can't help but feeling like you are playing with dynamite.

Then again, why not just give it another week? It's only been a few days right?

Thank you for this thread. Pretty dang cool.

I know, I started on the 14th so it's only been 6 days but it's seemed to stop. Other bottles I have are looking the same in a shorter amount of time. How bad would it be if one of these were to blow? Could it take a finger off? I'm sure it would cut ya up from the glass right? Should of had gloves on;) I'm pretty sure thought its not going to do anything from this point so I'm going to chill and consume it:) I will post pics when I open it, most likely tomorrow.

How bad could the explosion be? A missing finger? Some nice cuts? I'm sure nothing more is going to happen, someone needs to do a speedy method of this for some serious results. I'm going to consume that bottle after it chills for a day. I will post pics of it being opened and poured. Stay tuned:)

How bad could the explosion be? A missing finger? Some nice cuts? I'm sure nothing more is going to happen, someone needs to do a speedy method of this for some serious results. I'm going to consume that bottle after it chills for a day. I will post pics of it being opened and poured. Stay tuned:)

Maybe a chard of glass in the eye. But it's worth it for the advancement of brewing science.

There's a guy here on HBT that was talking about a bottle bomb he had when he was younger where a chard of glass missed his jugular by less than an inch. An inch in the other direction and he wouldn't be on HBT...

HawksBrewer said:
There's a guy here on HBT that was talking about a bottle bomb he had when he was younger where a chard of glass missed his jugular by less than an inch. An inch in the other direction and he wouldn't be on HBT...

Likely story ha ha. I was looking closely at my bottle bomb and noticed what looked like to be a crack in the glass! I think it's just a defect but talk about an "oh **** moment" while it was in my hand.

image-3640559092.jpg

See the "crack"!

Keep playing with that thing man... Shaking it and such ;)

Final test:
Get that pellet gun and video shooting this thing (from a distance) and shooting one that hasn't been left out to see the difference in BOOM :D

Back