Bottle Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike7431

Reaction score
Hello All!

It's been about 2 weeks since I bottled my first 5 gallon batch of hefewieizen and of course I'm really itching to crack one open and try it. However, I've heard from some that 2 weeks is not enough time for a beer to properly age. I'm sure it will still taste alright if I try it now but I want to wait to enjoy my brew until it is in its peak condition. How long do you fellow brewers tend to let your beer age in the bottles before you crack one open? Does it depend on the style of beer?

Aging does depend on style. Hefeweizen should be drank young and doesn't benefit much from aging. Rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees for carbonation but 2 weeks can be enough. Back when I bottled I would start sampling at 2 weeks and more times then not they were ready.

Hello All!

It's been about 2 weeks since I bottled my first 5 gallon batch of hefewieizen and of course I'm really itching to crack one open and try it. However, I've heard from some that 2 weeks is not enough time for a beer to properly age. I'm sure it will still taste alright if I try it now but I want to wait to enjoy my brew until it is in its peak condition. How long do you fellow brewers tend to let your beer age in the bottles before you crack one open? Does it depend on the style of beer?

Yes. Usually, the hoppier the beer, the earlier you want to drink it, maltier beers can take age better, and dark beers age very well indeed.

Hefeweizens are interesting in that they aren't on the hoppy-end of beers, but are still recommended to drink young.

Long story short: 2 weeks might be enough, & I am sure 3 weeks would be fine to wait. Just don't cellar them away for next year.

:)

I always try one at 2 weeks regardless of style just to check carbonation. The beer typically tastes pretty good, but depending on the style could taste much better if it ages (i.e. stouts). I brew mostly IPAs and stouts so my aging time is pretty different between the two. I start drinking the IPAs at 2-3 weeks and the stouts I will start drinking in earnest around the 4 week mark but some of them well get even better with more age on them.

I guess it also depends on how much you brewed. If it was a 5 gallon batch, cracking 1 or 2 bottles before the 3 week mark is no big deal. If it was 2.5 gallons or less, then you might be "wasting" beer that is not at its peak.

I'm only on the other end of the spectrum I guess. I just finished up a Hefeweizen and sampled one after 1 week in the bottles. Plenty of carbonation and head retention for only being in the bottle 1 week and the taste was great. Will it taste better in two weeks? Probably. But I like to sample my work and see how it progresses from beginning to end.

The hefe in hefeweizen means with yeast so that beer is intended to be drunk young before too much of the yeast settles out. I'd probably sample the first one at about a week. 2 weeks should be plenty and if you leave it much longer and still want the yeast character you would lay the bottle on its side and roll it to resuspend the yeast.

Latest posts

Back