Bottle a couple...keg the rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cmu92

Reaction score
I am about to transfer my brew to my corny. I would like to bottle a 6 pack and keg the rest. Can I use regular sugar in each bottle to carb, if so how much? I will put the keg on gas to carb.

You could buy some of the tablets to help simplify your process. But any type of sugar will carb - but at different levels in which you will need to research. Just make sure you sanitize your bottles and make sure you are scaling your sugar to your exact volume you will be bottling dependent on the type of sugar you are using (corn, table, DME, etc). Otherwise, you up the chance for the bottle bombs. That's why the carb tablets are ideal for the 12 oz bottle.

I also force carb the bulk of my beer and bottle a few extra using carbonation drops (Cooper's brand). One per bottle, pretty much perfect every time. Saves me from the hassle of setting up a bottling bucket with priming sugar solution at the same time I am kegging. Just fill the bottles straight from the siphon after filling the keg (or vice versa), and when finished, drop a tablet in each one and cap it.

Using drops is the easiest, but you can use the sugar if you want to.
I think its better and easier to dissolve the sugar in water and then add that to your beer, then bottle. Get a cheapo water dispenser at Walmart, they have a small tap to dispense the water with. Or use a bottling bucket if you've got one. Anyway, use a priming sugar calculator like this one:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

It asks for the volume of beer in gallons. Six 12 oz bottles is .5625 gallons. It also asks for the beer temp and what c02 volume you want.
You'll need a gram scale to weigh out the right amount.
Boil 1/2 cup of water, dissolve in the sugar, add to beer and your ready to bottle.
Adding individual measures of sugar to each bottle could lead to infection and bottle bombs, but the old school way was to just put 1/2 teaspoon in each bottle. An even older method is to put one raisin in each bottle.

I do this all the time. I usually ferment a 6 gallon batch and bottle about one gallon or so from the primary. I then rack the rest into a secondary which I will keg two weeks later. This way if my keg kicks, I have some back up beer in bottles. Works for me.
As for carbing the bottles, I use 3/8 teaspoon of dry table sugar per 12 ounce bottle.

Back