Botched recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennasbiotch

Reaction score
I got a recipe earlier today and it called for 6lb of US 2 ROW and 2.5 of biscuit. US-05 dry yeast, .25 of warrior and .5 of mt. Hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I got a recipe earlier today and it called for 6lb of US 2 ROW and 2.5 of biscuit. US-05 dry yeast, .25 of warrior and .5 of mt. Hood.

Well, it's obviously either a mistake (typo) or someone who never brewed before threw it together. You could cut the biscuit malt to .5 pound, and maybe have on ok beer depending on your goals but I'd definitely rethink the whole batch and not use that grainbill or that hops schedule.

The biscuit was supposed to be 2.5 of golden promise. I already bought my grain and had it mixed before I was notified that there was a mistake in the recipe. Is there anything I can do for this? This was supposed to be a Blonde beer.

I'm new to all grain and I'm relying a lot on other peoples recipes. I've been doing extract brewing so I need help.

It was a mistake. It should have been Golden Promise and I apologize profusely, I just noticed it today and fixed it. I'm sorry.

The biscuit was supposed to be 2.5 of golden promise. I already bought my grain and had it mixed before I was notified that there was a mistake in the recipe. Is there anything I can do for this? This was supposed to be a Blonde beer.

No, not really.

Unless- you use 1/2 of the mix you have, and add more base malt and then change up the hops and make a British beer.

Yeah, I'd either use a portion of it to get a half pound of biscuit in the final grain bill (assuming the biscuit and 2-row is evenly mixed), or just dump it. I think dumping is the better option.

It's gonna be that bad? I was just thinking of just going through with the brew and tasting it. Then throwing it away if it's horrible.

Using a pound in a 5 gallon batch with other supporting malts is still a lot. In this case, it's almost 30% of the grain bill. I don't see it turning out well. I made some home-toasted Maris Otter for fun and used it for 10% of a grain bill with one of my first AG batches. I would use less next time, but it wasn't undrinkable. Again though, that was at just 1 lb of a 10 lb grain bill.

Well I don't know what to do. I hate to waste $20 without giving it a chance. Then again, if I pitch yeast I'm out $25 and 2 weeks of time waiting.

Well I don't know what to do. I hate to waste $20 without giving it a chance. Then again, if I pitch yeast I'm out $25 and 2 weeks of time waiting.

Using it as is will be terrible. But if you want to buy some more base malt, and cut the results in half so that you have more like 1 pound of biscuit in the 5 gallon batch, it might be ok.

It's too late now, but one of the things I do is always get my grain in separate bags when I buy it. Not just because of recipe typos, but I've had homebrew stores themselves add wrong amounts of grain to my bag, like 1 pound of black patent when it should have been 1 ounce!

If all of your grains are separate, you can mix them at home when you need them and all you need is a little kitchen scale (which you should have anyway for hops and grain).

Some stores only sell grain by the pound, and that would allow you to do all sorts of recipes that use grains in other-than-1-pound amounts.

Then again, if I pitch yeast I'm out $25 and 2 weeks of time waiting.

This. Plus you're out the time of actually brewing and packaging it. I hear you on not wanting to be wasteful, but it's unlikely that it will come out very well. I'd cut my losses, get some new grain and spend the time brewing/packaging something that will be enjoyable.

Just my two cents. Cheers.

Again, you can use the ratio that is in there and use part of it with additions to make a new recipe(s).

Yooper's advice to get your grains sent in separate bags is spot on. That way you have a chance to catch errors and then mix them together yourself.

You could split that recipe in thirds or quarters, then add base grains and other specialty grains and have your next 3 or 4 batches started. Just bag the grains with as little air in the bags as possible and put them in the refrigerator.

I think you could easily turn this into an ESB-style beer. Change up the hops and yeast; add some crystal and cpils; mash medium high; ferment at 68F.

6 lbs US 2row
2.5 lbs biscuit
1 lb British Crystal 60L or Caramunich II
1 lb Munich II (aka Dark Munich) or Munich 20L
0.5 lb Carapils (optional)
Safale S-04 yeast

Mash at 154-156F for 60min

Hop schedule with some british(-like) hops: EKG, Fuggles, Willamette, Tettnang, Santiam, etc
Additions at 60, 15, and 5min
Enough IBUs to get you to about 25-30

I think you could end up with a decent beer this way.

Thanks for y'alls help! stpug is this gonna be a dark beer?

No, more of an amber/red color. Here's an example recipe:

Code:
Recipe: ESB Example
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 13.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6 lbs                 Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        54.5 %        
2 lbs 8.0 oz          Biscuit Malt (22.5 SRM)                  Grain         2        22.7 %        
1 lbs                 British Crystal Malt - 60L               Grain         3        9.1 %         
1 lbs                 Munich II (German) (8.5 SRM)             Grain         4        9.1 %         
8.0 oz                Carapils (US) (1.5 SRM)                  Grain         5        4.5 %         
1.000 oz              Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           6        27.9 IBUs     
1.000 oz              EKGoldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 15 min  Hop           7        9.2 IBUs      
0.500 oz              EKGoldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop           8        1.9 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast         9        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs
----------------------------
Name                         Description                          Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In                      Add 14.55 qt of water at 168.5 F     154.0 F       60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 175.0 F water to reach preboil volume
------

Thank you! I'll post what I try and how it turns out.

Back