Boston Lagar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halister

Reaction score
Well the BL is brewed, now this batch started Activity about 6 hours after. The air lock is going crazy right now. Is this normal or to much to fast?

Yeah I used plenty and had a nice froth. It's my second brew and my first Oktoberfest didn't do much as far as visible airlock. This one is going nutz for two days almost like straw under water every 5 seconds.

sounds like you will soon have beer. good stress. my lag times are pretty short, i try to pitch my starters when they are nice and bubbly, and definitely whip the wort up with a good dose of o2.

Well my son wanted to help poor in top off water so I put him on the kitchen table and had him poor it, it fell like 6 feet so my son had a ball and I got a super froth on top.
Of course SWMBO was not home..

Oh and my son brewed his first Birch beer over the weekend. Oh what a mess, hurry before mom gets home ha ha

The brewer at EBC advised me to go 65 for 3 days then into 50 to 55 for 30 days. It's Wyeast 2206.
He said to do that way to make sure it gets going. It's going in the wine cooler tonight.

So I took a peek and a smell. Mmmm I'm liking it. I'm only .005 away from target. So far I'm happy with the numbers. Bottling in about 15 days. Can't wait.
What temp should I be at with the bottles? Room for 3 weeks?

The brewer at EBC advised me to go 65 for 3 days then into 50 to 55 for 30 days. It's Wyeast 2206.
He said to do that way to make sure it gets going. It's going in the wine cooler tonight.

If you pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast into a wort at proper fermenting temps of about 50f you'll get a better brew for it in my opinion.
You'll get less esters and diacetyl.
The reason they tell you to start ferment at 65f or there-a-bouts is so with a less than ideal amount of yeast, you can make beer. Just not the best beer you can make if you followed proper lager fermenting practices

Good luck and brew often.

Update on this, this was my best brew yet. Had a few friends over an almost polished off the whole brew. Came out fantastic. I will be brewing this one again. Need to bring this one downtown buffalo to see what others think about it.

Ever go to the Flying Bison Brewery? Tim Herzog is a real cool dude. Small enough brewery that you can meet the owner and he'll happily spend an hour or two talking beer with you.

Also, if you make it down to EBC, you also need to go to Lakewood and visit the Southern Tier brewery. They do live music on the weekends, and it is a world class brewing facility. Well worth the trip. I went three separate times the last time I spent a week in Jamestown, NY.

Not to far away.

I love EBC.. I need to get to all the local breweries...

EBC for 250.00 you can be a brewer for day. I bet you would learn a ton.

Back