Bored with session beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talonracer67

Reaction score
I think I ruined my taste buds. It seems now unless I'm drinking an IPA or some really wicked porter- I'm not that impressed. Right now i have two brown ales bottled, Caribou Slobber and a Surly Bender clone. Like the Surly better but it just seems bland to me. No off flavors, just bland. When I pop open a Bell's Two hearted, its like wow. Last year the one beer i made that the wife really liked was a Double chocolate stout that I added bourbon to and aged in oak. I'm making a Irish red ale this weekend, and I assume I won't be impressed.
I honestly think its from drinking so many IPA's the past year. So are there any other styles I should experiment with? Not worrying about session beers, we don't drink very much during the week (live healthy). I have enough session beers to give to guests. Concentrate on Porters, Stouts and IPA's?? Anyone else been ruined(spoiled) by IPA's?

I love Barleywines....never made one, but if you're bored with IPAs and haven't tried a barleywine yet, you should give that a try. I know what you mean though. Once you get a taste for the hop, everything else seems lacking...

Maybe something like a Barleywine or Quad if you're into bigger beers. If you're looking for something to shock the taste buds you could always go with a rye beer.

I love Ryes...have you tried Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye...it was my go to beer for a while when I didn't have anything in the keg....

Ironically I just had a Ruthless Rye last time we went out to eat. We both liked it but again my wife complained it could have been a little hoppier....lol......she's spoiled too. I might try Denny's Wry smile next time. Already got Mad Elf planned. My 10 gallon mash tun really opens up what kind of beers I can make (I shoot for 5.5 to 6 gallon batches)

I to Love hop bombs. But you still can a hoppy session beer. I just brewed a rye pale ale about 5%abv with all Chinook. Hops. It's delicious!

Back