Bored of exstract brewing moving to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbreezz

Reaction score
So I'm moving on to the wonderful world of all grain brewing and was hoping to get some tips from you vets on this wonderful trade.My first batch will be a crystal pale ale.I will be using.....
2 row pale malt
crystal malt
crystal hops
american ale liquid yeast
If there's anything more that i could add to this to make it a better experience i am open to ideas.If you have tips for a first time grain brewer i would love to here them. Thanks and happy brewing!!!:ban:

I just recently moved to all grain and it is amazing the amount of control and the things you can experiment with.

For a Pale Ale I highly recommend John Palmer's Lady Liberty Ale. It is a very basic and neutral recipe that produces a great product. With all grain you can modify it to your liking!

The recipe is halfway down this page and uses a fair amount of crystal grains:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter19-3.html

I just wanted to recommend a recipe so you can see what kind of grains and hops to use since you mentioned "crystal hops" which dont exist. A solid recipe will give you good starting place to build your own

Crystal

An American triploid variety developed in 1993 from Hallertau, Cascade, Brewer's Gold and Early Green. It is spicier than Hallertau (cinnamon, black pepper, and nutmeg). Substitutes: any Hallertau variety, Mt. Hood, Liberty. 3.5 - 5.5%

Yeah, it's pretty low AA. More of a finishing hops. I've used it before too.

Back