Boozy Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrambyvision

Reaction score
Did my second ever 5gal AG batch on 01/27/14. Wanted to do an easy, sessionable Pale Ale. Here was my recipe:

10# US 2-Row
.5# Crystal 60
.5# US Munich
1oz Centennial 60 minutes
.5oz Cascade 10 minutes
.5oz Cascade 5 minutes

Nailed my temps and SG (1.062).

Cooled quick and had nice cold break. Pitched at 70° using US-05.

Fermenting at 19.2 °C (66.7 °F)

After 24 hours had a nice fermentation. Took my first hydrometer reading yesterday. Hit my FG at 1.012. That puts me at ~6.6% abv.

Tasted it and it has a crazy hot alcohol flavor. Still need to rack into Secondary. Will cold crash and finish with gelatin before force carbing.

Curious if the hotness will mellow out? This beer is for a tailgate on 03/01/14. Would dry hopping help maybe? I know it's mostly for aroma. Should I secondary at a low 60°'s maybe?

Thanks

Donnie

Keg #1: Empty
Keg #2: Empty
Primary #1: Tailgater Pale Ale
Primary #2: Leiny's Big Butt Clone (as an ale)

It depends. Was the 66 degrees fermentation ambient room temp? The fermenter can get 5-7 degrees hotter than ambient during fermentation. This could cause fusels which can contribute to an alcohol flavor that won't condition out.

Or it could just need time to condition. Green beer is very different from the final product. My advice would be to set it aside for 4-6 weeks at room temp and try after that.

Roed Haus Brewery

I've never had a brew over 5% ABV but I have read plenty of times that stronger beers should be given extended conditioning to "mellow out."

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Edit. Just realized its only fermented 1 week. Give it at least two weeks in fermenter and try it again. It will taste totally different.

Roed Haus Brewery

My friends and I typically drink imperial ipa's that have abv's ~8.5%. For us, a 6.6% is any easy drinking beer... lol.

The probe is in a quart of starsan solution, so it's not ambient temperature.

I thought warmer temperatures yielded higher alcohol flavors, wouldn't holding it at room temp be counter productive?

Donnie

Warmer temps in the beginning of a fermentation can lead to fusels. After the vigorous fermentation has completed, the temp can raise a few degrees and not put off as many esters (fusels included). Conditioning will help if done at warmer temps than primary fermentation. The yeast will consume some of the off flavors that way.

Roed Haus Brewery

I took my second gravity reading on 02/11/14. The beer started at 1.062 and finished at 1.010. I tasted the sample and I am happy to report the booze flavor has disappeared! I guess I jumped the gun and got scared. Four day old beer is super-green and needs aging for sure! Thanks everybody for your comments!

Donnie

Back