Boo's Little Helper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosbrew

Reaction score
I am on here to learn as much as I can about home brewing. I purchased my boyfriend a brew kit (well a few) for Valentines Day. I want to be an active part of the home brewing process with my boyfriend. I have found this site to be quite informative. We made our first batch tonight and I can't wait to bottle it in a couple of weeks. Even though I dislike beer personally I find the process fascinating and fun. I also enjoy spending time with my Boo and brewing beer with him seems to be a great idea. Even though I dislike the taste of beer I look forward to brewing lots of beer variations with my Boo.

I'm sure he appreciates the crap out of you. I would. My girl likes the beer that I make, but when I start talking about how it is made, it's like I am speaking Spanish to her. Prost to you! Good luck to the both of you. Read, read, then read some more. Welcome to the obsession, I mean, "hobby".

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Thank you for the welcome!!! I plan to learn a lot about it....but it seems like so much to learn and no one seems to agree, which makes it very hard to know what works (I.e. aluminum vs SS). So, I guess it will be trial and error. We just made our first brew yesterday and his focus was the beer and mines was the cleanliness. After reading the many "infection" stories on here I decided for the first brew to try to make it as clean as possible. Thanks again for the welcome!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Home Brew mobile app

That's a great start. Cleanliness is next to godliness in this hobby. Don't over-worry about it though. I have had some things go way wrong in terms of the sanitation of the wort with no consequences of infection. For instance, I brew outside. It sucks in the winter sometimes. After chilling my wort and having an overall frustrating day, a bunch of snow (like an avalanche) fell off my roof and landed in my wort. I was sure that it was going to be gross but it turned out great. There are times to worry but MOST of the time you shouldn't.

Aluminum is fine for your first boil pot. You do have to put an oxidation layer on it before you boil wort in it though. All you have to do is boil as much water in there as you can for about an hour. After that, it's fine to use. I did for my first couple years.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

I was trying not to be too particular about the brew but I was worried about possible infection.....but time will tell. Thanks for the advice.

Here's to you, and welcome aboard! It seems more and more, home brewing is becoming a "couple" thing! Your boyfriend is very lucky that you are so excited about this new hobby.

The great thing about home brewing, is you can get into it as deeply as you desire, or for however much you want to spend. The problem is, once you make that first successful extract kit beer, you're going to want to "tweak" the recipe and add your own spin. Once that happens, just forget it. You now have a beer worm and it's going to consume you. I for one, absolutely love feeding the worm!!'

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the welcome. I think I already have the worm and our first brew is still in the primary....lol. I already have plans to buy us....I mean him a more equipment for anniversary next month. I would like to finish the three other kits I bought him for Valentines then move on to recipes. Cheers!!

Thanks for the welcome. I think I already have the worm and our first brew is still in the primary....lol. I already have plans to buy us....I mean him a more equipment for anniversary next month. I would like to finish the three other kits I bought him for Valentines then move on to recipes. Cheers!!

You rock, Boosbrew! Best of luck to you on your new journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Welcome Boosbrew!

About all the different way to brew, usually we might say RDWAHAHB. In this case, it is RDWAHAGOW (Relax, don't worry, and have a glass of wine.)

Thank you, I will let y'all know how my brew turns out.

@ Cyclman; I can't even begin to figure that one out!!!

Sorry, SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed (because if you don't you don't get to buy brewing equipment, ingredients, and "other things" that matter)

:mug:

Anyhow, wine and mead are great for those who don't like beer.

Can someone post the link on here to the abbreviations post.....I found it when I 1st logged on to this site but I can't find it now. It does make it easier to read and "understand" what people are talking about. Thanks a lot!!

Back