Books on tape or Podcasts for driving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody have a recommendation for books on tape or podcasts. Preferably on brewing? Need to kill some time and Sirius NFL network needs a break from my radio.

Check out the Tap Handle Show (taphandleshow.com) Primarily focused on New England but all beer and entertaining. Anything but stuffy

I started listening to the Sour Hour on the Brewing Network. The host's language is a refreshing change of pace compared to the Brew Strong locker room banter.

Slightly off topic but I would LOVE to see is a music player app (droid) that has skip forward 20 seconds and skip back 5 second features for podcasts. The embedded commercials can be painful at times. Also would be nice to skip back for when you have to concentrate on driving and miss something. Bonus points if it works with SYNC via bluetooth.

Slightly off topic but I would LOVE to see is a music player app (droid) that has skip forward 20 seconds and skip back 5 second features for podcasts.

You might try Downplayer. Its my 3rd podcast player and the best so far (I used stitcher and the Apple podcast app).

It has a skip back 30s and 15s buttons, and skip forward 30s and 2m. It does have some control over bluetooth because I use the buttons on my BT headphones to control it. Not sure about he skip function though.

EDIT: It's called Downcast, not Downplayer, and it's only available on iPhones. At this time there's no android app.

I like BeerSmith's podcast a lot. Can't stand Brew Strong; too much idle banter and childish humor and not enough actual beer talk.

Not even slightly brewing related, but the History of Rome podcast by Mike Duncan is really well done... if you like history. There are something like 190 episodes before he wrapped up the series, each between 10 and 45 minutes in length, so it will take you a while to get through. The Five Star rating on iTunes suggests I'm not the only one who liked it. :D

The Brewing Network podcasts do have an annoying amount of locker room banter as noted above, but there is so much rich information in there that it's well worth it. I learn something new or increase my understanding of something almost every show.
The very first episodes of the Jamil Show where they go through every style in the BJCP have a lot less d**k jokes. The latest Jamil Shows are pretty void of information.
The first episodes of the Sunday Session are full of great interviews with people like Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River, and Brew Strong has great technical shows for many different topics.
I'm a fan.

Aside from that, Proof: The Science of Booze by Adam Rogers is an amazing audiobook available through Audible and probably iTunes, and Charles Bamforth of UC Davis has a lecture available from the same sources called The Brewmaster's Art.

I like the New Glarus interview on Brew Strong. Listened to that a few times but find it difficult to find subjects I like on BN. Searching through the Beersmith site there is tons of good info there. Going to start with that.

You'll learn a lot from the Jamil Show/Brew Strong. Just make sure there's enough space in your listening room for yourself and Jamil's ego.

I like the New Glarus interview on Brew Strong. Listened to that a few times but find it difficult to find subjects I like on BN. Searching through the Beersmith site there is tons of good info there. Going to start with that.

Was it Brew Strong or the Sunday Session (from 2008)? I've heard the Sunday Session one but I thought I have listened to every brew strong episode and didn't hear a NG interview.

You might try Downplayer. Its my 3rd podcast player and the best so far (I used stitcher and the Apple podcast app).

It has a skip back 30s and 15s buttons, and skip forward 30s and 2m. It does have some control over bluetooth because I use the buttons on my BT headphones to control it. Not sure about he skip function though.

Is it just called downplayer? the player on my droid sucs, just play and pause and a slider with no time. Been downloading some beersmith stuff but would like a better player for the MP3s

Is it just called downplayer? the player on my droid sucs, just play and pause and a slider with no time. Been downloading some beersmith stuff but would like a better player for the MP3s

DOWNCAST.

It's called downcast. I'm really sorry if I lead you on a goose chase.

I just checked the android store and it appears to be an iOS app only. Sorry!

Maybe Stitcher is available. It was OK, didn't fit my needs though. I think it was free.

I use Podcast Addict on my droid. It has a skip and rewind skip as well. You can customize the length of each skip, but the default is a 30s forward and 15s backward. Works great for me.

Helpful hint re books on tape. Many public libraries allow you to download audio books free.

+1, though sometimes you get some CDs that have a lot of scratches. I put everything on my iPod, or actually use the CD player in my car.

I use Podcast Addict on my droid. It has a skip and rewind skip as well. You can customize the length of each skip, but the default is a 30s forward and 15s backward. Works great for me.

I got this setup on my HTC. Initial impressions pretty good. Was able to search and subscribe to podcasts pretty easily. Also doesn't require an account like Stitcher does. Down side is doesn't look like the player will show up on the lock screen like the native music app does (I tried putzing with the settings too). But so far this is better than what I was using.

You can download directly without even going to the library. The libraries use an App called OverDrive

I use that app. It's pretty great. I've suspended my Audible account for the past couple years and have just been listening to free library audiobooks. It has saved me a ton of $$$.

Lately I've noticed though that I am starting to run out of books that interest me that I haven't already listened to. The library periodically adds new titles, but not quickly enough for me/most of which don't interest me. I may need to find something else soon as a result, or go back to Audible.

Selection of course varies from library. My brother in Austin, for example, seems to have access to a lot more titles than I do.

Non beer related...

Fantastic audio book is "In the Heart of the Sea" by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's a true story account of the sinking of the Essex, which inspired Moby Dick. An added bonus is that a movie about this is coming out in March.

I got this setup on my HTC. Initial impressions pretty good. Was able to search and subscribe to podcasts pretty easily. Also doesn't require an account like Stitcher does. Down side is doesn't look like the player will show up on the lock screen like the native music app does (I tried putzing with the settings too). But so far this is better than what I was using.

Do some goggling for your device. It comes up on my lock screen. So the capability is there maybe for some devices. I didn't change anything in my settings for my Samsung SIII ever since I downloaded it. Might be more of your device manager than the app.

My favorite podcasts:
-This American Life....its number one downloaded podcast for a reason
-My Brother, My Brother and me...three brothers that do a "self help" podcast.
Hilarious, but not kid friendly
-"Serial"...truly addicting as already mentioned. Only 12 episodes so far, but
hopefully season 2 is in the works.
Also worth a listen:
-Freakanomics
-Planet Money
-Invisibilia
-WTF with Marc Maron
-How Stuff Works

I should have mentioned my favorite podcasts, the Dan Carlin Hardcore History. If you want to try one out, check out the one about the Mongol Khans or the current one, WW1 Countdown to Armageddon.

Hardcore history is awesome!

You'll learn a lot from the Jamil Show/Brew Strong. Just make sure there's enough space in your listening room for yourself and Jamil's ego.

I love the BN, I started at the very first podcast of the session and am working my way to the end, eventually I will listen to every single episode of every show, but the Jamil show, will be last. I've listened to all of the Brewing With Style ones,which are essentially his book made over. I hate how there's only 5-10 minutes of actual brewing information in one of those podcasts! I guess it's just about finding that "balance" between a brewing podcast and a simulated backyard bonfire. I hate to say that out loud but glad I'm not only person. Something tells me Jamil is is actually a really great guy, and would probably spend time talking one on one with a homebrewer to help them, or just share a pint.

I love Justin, and miss D a lot, Vinnie, Dan Gordon and Shawn Paxton are the best episodes of the Session.

Basic Brewing Radio is recorded in my home state, which is about like trying to find craft beer on the moon, so always found that ironic, but love the show.

Basic brewing radio is fantastic, plenty of good info and just the right amount of banter, without interfering with the s how's content. Very well produced as well, no weird background noises or poor audio quality.

The Beerists.

Hilarious, it can get ridiculous from time to time. Very entertaining.

Hell yes to this. They talk only about commercial beer, but I still think it's invaluable to homebrewers. I mention this podcast to my brew buddies whenever I get the chance, as I am of the opinion that if you want to brew great beer, you should know what flavors you're going for, and how to describe what you're drinking. My tasting vocabulary has expanded exponentially since I started listening to The Beerists.

Non-brewing related, any book on tape by Jon Ronson or Mary Roach is fascinating to the point of distraction.

Back