Book recommendation for Water Chemistry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The obvious choice would be John Palmer's book on water chemistry as a good place to start.

Just the first, how to adjust my source water.
If you are intending to brew with your tap water, take a look at Bru'n Water. If you want a web based solution, Brewers Friend or BrewFather are options. Either of the three will have 'getting started' information - so you won't need to buy either book to read on the science of brewing water chemistry.

If you are intending to brew with RO water, start here: Water Chemistry – How to Build Your Water – Bertus Brewery

eta: To help focus on adjustments (not brewing water chemistry), these questions may be helpful:
  • what adjustments are needed to the source water supply?
  • what adjustments are needed to achieve a proper mash?
  • what adjustments are needed to enhance the flavor of the beer?
The "how" of water adjustments isn't complicated. The "why" of water adjustment can be.

Last edited:
Just the first, how to adjust my source water.
Are you in the US? The first step there is knowing what minerals are in your source water. Do you know that?

If not, in some locations you can get the information from your water provider. My water provider publishes data from monthly and quarterly tests from a few different testing locations. Another source in the US is Ward Labs. For about $40, you can send them a sample and get back an analysis sheet.

Starting with distilled, or RO water are also options, but you will need to understand what minerals to add back.

This is/was my favorite water intro article (the site is no longer up, so a link to an archived version): Practical Low Cost Water Adjustment for All Grain Brewers

If you are intending to brew with your tap water, take a look at Bru'n Water. If you want a web based solution, Brewers Friend or BrewFather are options. Either of the three will have 'getting started' information - so you won't need to buy either book to read on the science of brewing water chemistry.

If you are intending to brew with RO water, start here: Water Chemistry – How to Build Your Water – Bertus Brewery

eta: To help focus on adjustments (not brewing water chemistry), these questions may be helpful:
  • what adjustments are needed to the source water supply?
  • what adjustments are needed to achieve a proper mash?
  • what adjustments are needed to enhance the flavor of the beer?
The "how" of water adjustments isn't complicated. The "why" of water adjustment can be.
Not only is Bru'n Water an excellent tool, but it has IMO the best explanation of water chemistry for brewing: General 5 | Bru'n Water

Back