Bone headed moves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, look what i have to look forward too. I was helping my liitle ones with an apple and some juice from th e fridge and reversed the hops sequence, I since heard that was no big deal just a minor change in taste plans, but i'm not to the point of drinking the brew yet and it is not kegged yet so i can still screw up.
Man i can see how you can make a huge mess if you let the wort boil over to a point where you have it on the stove instead of in the pot. I have NOT done that yet.

gregg

First Batch: Read the thermometer on the Celcius side instead of the Ferinhight side (can't spell neither) when soaking my specialty grains. Then used an auto siphon with hose that didn't fit right. Sucked a lot of air into my brew when bottling.
Second Batch: I put my wort chiller into my boiling wort for the last 15 minutes to sterilize it. When I turned on the water to chill the wort, the plastic hose had heated up and loosened. It blew off and squirted water everywhere including into my wort.
Third Batch: I increased my boil volume by 50% but only decreased my hops by 10% and forgot to add my aroma hops in the last 5 min. (found them on the workbench a day later) Hope I like the extra bitter flavor.
Fourth Batch: This will be brewed this weekend . . . . I wonder what will be next!:D

I just finished boiling the wort and put in the sink to cool it in an ice bath. I filled the sink with cold water and ice and as the boiling wort warmed the water I let the ice-bath water down the drain and refill with more cold water. HOWEVER, instead of re-filling with cold water, I zoned out and thought I was doing the dishes or something and put HOT water into the sink. It took me a little while to wake up and realize what I was doing. So needless to say, it took a bit longer to chill the wort down to 80 degrees. The story has a happy ending though, the beer came out great. In fact I'm drinking it right now!

I was pouring my extract into the pot of really hot water, and it slipped from my hand into the pot, splashing me and the garage floor with extract, hot water, and steeped grains. While I was wondering how to pick it out without further burning myself, backed up and stepped on the cat who was licking the floor, we both jumped and I knocked over a rack of just washed bottles. Reminded me of Inspector Closeau in a Pink Panther movie...

Was racking into secondary and needed something to stick under the primary in order to tilt it and get the most out of it. Grabbed the first thing handy- a dirty grubby hammer that was in arm's reach. Got almost all of beer racked and decided to adjust a little bit. Splash! knocked that digusting hammer right into the brew! Still tasted ok when all done though. Thus the name Arm & Hammer Weizen.

This weekend I was (attempting) siphoning my experimental ale to the bottle bucket. My usual method of using sanitizing solution in the tube to start the siphon failed and I was growing impatient so I figured "screw it" and went with the old reliable suck-start. Unfortunately, I was watching the actual beer transfer through the tube and not the remainder of the sanitizing solution. It caught me by surprise and out of reaction I spit. Right into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar. Doh! We'll see if this batch survives...

Unfortunately, I was watching the actual beer transfer through the tube and not the remainder of the sanitizing solution. It caught me by surprise and out of reaction I spit. Right into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar. Doh! We'll see if this batch survives...

Well that sucks (pun intended)....did you remember to gargle with Listerene before suck-starting the siphon? LOL
Jeff

The most boneheaded thing I've done is just getting too drunk when brewing and splashing things around, or the worst which is forgetting to sanitize something. strangely I've never had a contamination problem. just lucky i guess.

UNOmar said:
This weekend I was (attempting) siphoning my experimental ale to the bottle bucket. My usual method of using sanitizing solution in the tube to start the siphon failed and I was growing impatient so I figured "screw it" and went with the old reliable suck-start. Unfortunately, I was watching the actual beer transfer through the tube and not the remainder of the sanitizing solution. It caught me by surprise and out of reaction I spit. Right into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar. Doh! We'll see if this batch survives...
I hope you drink it all yourself and not offer it to others without telling what you did. But then again you are a homebrewer and aren't we the most honest breed anyone can encounter. BTW Molson Canadian is a decent beer IMO.

After successfully tapping my Sankey kegs the first time (to pressurize them), each subsequent time I tried to tap them I blew beer everywhere. The first beer explosion covered the kitchen walls, floors, curtains, etc and even blew beer into the formal dining room (which was behind me at the time). The wife was definitely (not) impressed. After much beer blowing, I realized I had never swapped out the Euro "S" coupler for a Sankey coupler. I now know that a "S" coupler will couple a Sankey keg... but if the keg is pressurized, stand by for a major beer explosion (around 35 psi for nitro beers).

Back