Boiling tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
Try this next time you are running close on head space and close to a boil over. Just lay a wooden spoon across the top of the kettle and like magic when the foam rises and touch's the wood the boil calms right back down.

My whole family got to witness my first real boilover Saturday. They freaked out, I killed the fire and stirred like a mad man. The part where I sprayed star san directly into my boiling wort gave my wife a fit. The part where I sprayed star san directly into my mouth to prove a point almost gave her a heart attack. I told her that if it was remotely dangerous to ingest, our son would not be the chief bottle sanitizer.

Anyway, keep a spray bottle handy, but it doesn't work every time, I guess.

I always lower the heat, stir the foam around, and blow on it when I get close to boil over. Haven't had one yet I couldn't tame.

Spray bottles are cheap. Get one plain water.

This.
I keep the lid on when heating to boil until it gets around 200F, then I get rid of the lid and watch it like a hawk, spray bottle in hand.

I've been burned (figuratively, not literally but have been close) too many times not watching it when it gets close to boiling.

"Just wash 4 more dishes" I said
"It'll be fine" I said
"Wife won't even notice the scorched stovetop and billowing smoke" I said.

Never again

Spray bottles are cheap. Get one plain water.

Agreed here .. I try to use distilled water , but as long as the boil is raging like crazy then I don't think it matters about it actually being sanitary .. If it's not boiling i always use water I know is sanitary

The wooden spoon trick works great. But ooga forgot to mention the bag of ice hanging from the spoon.

I prefer a few drops of Fermcap. It was like $4 at my LHBS, helps with blowoff during fermentation, and the little bottle should last me like a year.

My whole family got to witness my first real boilover Saturday. They freaked out, I killed the fire and stirred like a mad man. The part where I sprayed star san directly into my boiling wort gave my wife a fit. The part where I sprayed star san directly into my mouth to prove a point almost gave her a heart attack. I told her that if it was remotely dangerous to ingest, our son would not be the chief bottle sanitizer.

Anyway, keep a spray bottle handy, but it doesn't work every time, I guess.

Thanks for the LOL! I can totally see that whole scene going down. I was teaching a homebrewing class and used star to knock back the hot break without explaining, then later when I sanitized with the same bottle, I got "Wait, what?"

Well I sure as hell would not try this. It is just an old wives tale. Get a 40 gallon kettle and a maxi burner and brew on. Don't ever try a useful tip someone gives you. After all it might work and prove you are full of ****.

Sorry Ooga. Thanks for posting your tip. I am interested to understand the science. I will not be boiling over on purpose to verify it works, but I'm glad it works for you. I'm in the big pot camp, so I don't worry about boil overs.

I have used this tip in the kitchen, but not yet for beer. I babysit the hot break now. Even though I brew outdoors (except for starters), cleanup is much easier without a boilover.

Back